Chart control does not display on live server RRS feed

• Question

• User-301115705 posted

I've just started working with the chart compenent creating variaous bar,line 2D & 3D charts.

Everything works well and the charts look great when I'm debugging etc.

However, when I deploy the pages on the live server the pages display ok but I only get little red x's instead of the charts. The first time I deployed the pages the charts appeared fine. I have rebuilt the web site several times but I only get the little red x's.

Does anyone have any pointers?

I cant seem to find anything about this on the web. 

Monday, March 9, 2009 9:26 AM

All replies

• User-790873927 posted

I have exactly the same problem.  I have noted however that the png file is in the temp file on the server (which has not rendered the image), but on my local machine there are no png files, but the graph has rendered correctly - any hints from that?

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:05 AM
  • User-301115705 posted

The PNG file is also created in my temp directory on the server (as specified in the web.config)
    The PNG file is only in the temp directory for a short period, approx 1sec. Another file exists in the directory called msc_cntr_0 which is a empty text file.

The server where by website is hosted is on the internet and the charts work fine unless I connect to the website from inside my companies firewall.

If I connect my companies laptop directly to the internet (i.e. not connected to the company network) then the chart will display ok.
    I can access other PNG files through the companies network that are outside the firewall.

The web server will eventually go inside the companies firewall but I'm not sure whether the charts will work or not.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:09 AM
  • User-790873927 posted

I have found that removing cookieless=true from the Session state in Web.config then allows the chart to display.  This is not something I particularily want to do - any workarounds or hints from this?!

Edited @ 14:58 - I have now found that by using the ImageStoreMode as UseImageLocation and ensuring that NetworkService has full permission over the location that the image now appears - Hope this helps

Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:31 AM
  • User1961255161 posted

1) You need to add rights to asp.net worker with modify/write access to the folder

2) On web.config you need to set the key with a absolute path: <add key="ChartImageHandler" value="storage=file;timeout=20;dir=%DRIVE%:\inetpub\wwwroot\%APPLICATION%\TempImages\;" />

<add key="ChartImageHandler" value="storage=file;timeout=20;dir=%DRIVE%:\inetpub\wwwroot\%APPLICATION%\TempImages\;">Relative paths like ~ or ./xxxxxxx/ are not working</add>

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:10 AM
  • User-808020646 posted

Do I add this to my web.config just as it is. Or do I need to specify the path.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:44 AM