none
Unable to start Data Collector Sets after running it for few hours. Access Denied error after few hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

We need to run a Data Collector Set, to continuously monitor performance of some machines. We created the DCS from a Basic template, configured and started ok. 

However, few hours later the DCS stops, and we get "Access Denied" error when we try to re-start it. 

Deleting the DCS and re-creating it resolves the issue for few hours, but then again the DCS stops few hours later with "Access Denied" error. 

We can not figure out what is causing it.  

The issue happens to all our Windows boxes, old and new, running different OS, from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2016. 

Any ideas?

Monday, July 15, 2019 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi, lgor

At present, I'm trying to replicate your problem. I've successfully created a data collector, which has been working as usual up to now.

My Computer Environment: Windows 10

As far as I know, denial of access is generally a permission issue. For example, there will be a hint of denial of access when running as a non-administrator. It is recommended that you run the data collector as an administrator to see if there will be the same problem.

At the same time, I will run the data collector in the background and observe its operation status. If you have any new discoveries, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi Igor,

Please view the following log Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis-PLA\Operational and tell if there are any errors in it.

Regards,
    Michael

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi Strive,

Yes, we tried running the DCS as Domain Admin, local admin on the hosts and as System (the default). The problem persists.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Hi Michael,

The log contains 2 errors:

"Data collector set Igor-test1 stopped because of error 0x8007010B"

"Data Collector set Igor-test1 failed to start as [account] with error code 0x80030005."

The [account] is the account under which the DCS runs. We tried System (the default), Domain Admin account and local admin account.

They all work fine for few hours, and then stop with the Access Denied error.

Deleting and re-creating the DCS resolves the issue for few hours, but then it stops again with the Access Denied error.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:06 PM
  • Hi, lgor 

I'm sorry to reply to you now.Have you solved your problem?

If not, please answer my following questions so that I can help you more accurately.

• When this behavior first observed?
    • Does the Data Collector work before?
    • Is there any VirusScan/Access Protection running on the PC?
    • Is there anythings changed on the Server side recently?

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hi Strive,

Answers to your questions:

Q: When this behavior first observed?

A: we noticed it about 2 months ago, when we tried to use a DCS for a very first time. We then tried it on many different servers and workstations, with the same result. We also tried different settings with the DCS (different collectors, different users, different locations to store the files etc etc). All to no avail.

Q: Does the Data Collector work before?

A: No, it behaved this way from the very first day we tried about 2 months ago. 

Q: Is there any VirusScan/Access Protection running on the PC?

A: Yes, there is a virus protection on all machines. We did disable it temporarily on few boxes, to rule out the AV as a cause. This did not help however.

Q: Is there anything changed on the Server side recently?

A: No.

I do suspect this could be caused by AD GPO (Active Directory Group Policy Object). All the machines are members of a domain, with rather restrictive GPO.  However I went via the GPO with a fine comb many times , but can not find which GPO setting may prevent a DCS from running.

If you have any other ideas then please share.

Igor

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 12:33 PM
  • So, nobody has ideas what else we can try?
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 10:59 AM
  • Hi Igor,

Sorry for the delay.

The error  0x8007010B means "The directory name is invalid. ". Providing that the directory name is valid at the time you start your DCS I conclude that after being run for some time DCS may need to create another directory to write to - that could be the case if your DCS must create a new folder/file each hour or if it starts several times a day - and it can't create it for some reason.

I had the similar problem when I forgot to add a serial number to the directory name and my DCS could not create the directory name when run for the second time (because that directory had already been created by the first run).

Regards,
    Michael

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:18 PM
  • Thank you Michael. The DCS is configured with the serial number, and it does create the directories, until the DCS stops with the Access Denied error. It does not look like the issue is caused by the Directory settings or the serial number there.

Let me know if you have more ideas what to check.

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Hi Igor,

In this case I've got only one suggestion (at least by now) - enable file access audit on the directory to which DCS places its files and then look in the Security log which process/handleID ... get this error (and - what's more important - AFTER what ).  I can't exactly say what information to search for but it can be a starting point for further investigation.

This may help in setting up file access auditing.

Regards,
    Michael

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:55 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I have enabled the file access audit on the directory and recreate the problem. There are no events in the Security log there which would explain the issue. However, I noticed that the Application log contains this event every time the issue happens:

"Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied successfully."

So it does look our AD GPO somehow prevents the DCS from running. However I went via the GPO with a fine comb many times , but can not find which GPO setting may prevent a DCS from running. Any ideas how to locate the GPO setting which prohibits DCS?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:40 AM
  • Hi Igor,

""Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied successfully."" - it may be telling just about one more cycle of applying a GPO(s) - I don't know how any policy could prevent a DCS from running. But to rule out such possibility you could create the same DCS on the standalone server/workstation (or disconnect a domain member server/workstation temporary from the network if applicable) and see whether the issue persists (in this case only local GPO would apply to your server/workstation).

Regards,
    Michael

Friday, August 30, 2019 10:25 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes, I installed the DCS on a stand alone box (not a member of the AD domain) 4 days ago, and it is been running fine since then, i.e. it does not suffer from this issue. All points to the AD GPO.

We are now setting up a brand new GPO for a test server. We will then experiment with the GPO settings, in attempt to determine which setting denies access to all DCS.  This may take some time though, because GPOs have tons of settings and it take hours to reproduce the issue.

If you happen to find out which GPO setting may prevent all DCS from running, then please share.

Igor

Friday, August 30, 2019 3:12 PM