Migrate database from 2008 R2 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I am preparing to upgrade a database from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2016

I run Data Migration Assistant (DMA) and made all the suggested changes.

My question is from your experience is it enough to make only changes suggested by DMA ?

Did you encounter other issues that are not reported by DMA ?

Thanks

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hello DanielaDana,

DMA is a good starting point. I would fix the issues reported by DMA and try the upgrade in a test server if you are trying an Inplace upgrade. If it is a side by side upgrade then you get more liberty to test things before trying the actual production cutover. This will provide us more details of any issues encountered during upgrade.

Please refer https://www.itprotoday.com/microsoft-sql-server/upgrading-sql-server-2016-part-one.

Regards;
    Vivek Janakiraman
    www.jbswiki.com

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:42 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Hi DanielaDana,

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) will put weight on compatibility of database and features, the suggestion it provided is not enough to improve performance.

Based on my experience, many problems occurs in performance when upgrading to SQL Server 2016 because many features and the database engine has been changed a lot in the new version.

In your scenario, I would suggest you using the side-bu-side upgrade to migrate from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016. Then we can test it on the new server.

Here is some suggestions after migrating to SQL Server 2016, please refer to it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQL+Server+2016+Performance/172480/

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:02 AM