none
How to Purchase Additional Azure Storage for VM?

Question

• Hi! My customer is running an Azure VM (A4 size). The VM is running out of storage space and we are trying to help them to purchase additional storage via Azure Storage, to add to the subscription and attach to the VM.

However, there is no way to purchase when we sign in to the account.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:54 AM

All replies

• Additional storage for a VM is achieved by adding additional data disks up the size you require. Follow the steps in this article - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-windows-attach-disk-portal?toc=%2fazure%2fvirtual-machines%2fwindows%2ftoc.json

If you only want to increase the size of the temporary D drive you can do so by increasing the VM size, but remember the D drive is not for data storage, it is transient and can be wiped at reboot.

• Edited by SamCoganMVP Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:02 AM
  • In an A4 size, virtual machine you can add maximum 16 data disks. Each disk size is 1023 GB. In your case, if you have already added 16 data disks and all are going to full then the only option is to resize the VM. Microsoft Azure has a simple process to resize your existing VM to an upper limit or down limit.

If you want to double your data disk amount you can opt to Standard_D14.

If you need the VM resizing steps please, let me know. I will post the steps as well. It's very simple both in classic and ARM portal.

I hope it will resolve your issue.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:12 PM
  • In an A4 size, virtual machine you can add maximum 16 data disks. Each disk size is 1023 GB. In your case, if you have already added 16 data disks and all are going to full then the only option is to resize the VM. Microsoft Azure has a simple process to resize your existing VM to an upper limit or down limit.

If you want to double your data disk amount you can opt to Standard_D14.

If you need the VM resizing steps please, let me know. I will post the steps as well. It's very simple both in classic and ARM portal.

I hope it will resolve your issue.

NOTE - Virtual Machine will be reboot after resize.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thanks for the answer!

However, we are looking to extend the existing disk rather than attach a new disk.

This is because a particular drive in the VM is almost full and we need to increase the size of the drive.

Is there any way to extend the disk?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Which disk are you look to extend? And what operating system are you running on the VM?

You can't extend the OS disk size, and if you want to increase the temporary disk size you need to increase the VM size.

If you are just looking to resize a data disk you have two options:

1. Add additional data disks and then join them togther in the OS disk management

2. Use PowerShell to resize the existing data disk, follow the steps in this article. Note that the max size of a single data disk is 1TB.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:50 AM