none
Add-ins for 2013 Excel on Surface Pro 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to load an 'inactive application add-in' to 'active application add-ins'. I have downloaded the add-in, it is listed in my inactive list. I go to the manage section, select COM Add-ins, click go. The add-in is listed under available. As soon as I select the add-in listed, the Load Behavior changes from "Load at Startup", to "Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM add-in". What is causing this error?
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You need to contact the add-in developer. It looks like the add-in throws exceptions at startup.

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:50 PM