i have to click 'preview' at second time in order to get the report to run RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks, I added the 'default value' to the cascading parameter and it's working correctly. My new issue is: I have two date parameters (from/to) as the last parameters, and they default to todays date, so when the last cascading parameter is selcted, the dates are displayed, but if I change the 'form' date and click 'preview', the report doesn't run, i have to click 'preview' at second time in order to get the report to run.

Thanks

Dan1104

Dan1104
    • Split by Tony Chain Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:18 AM new issue
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for providing detailed information and I can reproduce the scenario.

Based on my testing, if we type in the date in the textbox of the date parameter instead of select in the calendar, and then click the “View Report” button, the report will not render until we click the “View Report” again.

This behavior might be another limitation of Report Manager. For the first time we click the “View Report” button, Report Manager only post the date in the textbox to the Report Server for validating. If the date is valid, we can click the “View Report” to view the Report. Otherwise, error message will be returned.

Currently, in order to view the report by only one click, please press “Enter” after type in the date, then the date will be posted for validating. After that, we can click the “View Report” to see report.

Since this behavior is not user-friendly, please also submit your suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Tony Chain

Tony Chain [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chain Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:14 AM
    Friday, December 31, 2010 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Based on your recent threads, I suppose you are using Reporting Services 2008R2. If not, please let me know.

However, I still need to confirm the scenario. Where does this happen, in Business Intelligence Development Studio or Report Manager? And in your description, do you mean click the ‘View Report’ button when you mentioned “click ‘preview’”?

From my testing, I added 4 parameters to the report. The first 2 parameters are cascading and the other 2 are date parameters default to today. After I selected the cascading parameters and changed the first date parameter, I click the ‘View Report’ button. The report works fine in both BIDS and Report Manager. So, if I have misunderstood the scenario, please point out.  

Additionally, sometimes it takes time to render the report. So, does the report runs if you wait for some moment after click the ‘View Report’ button at the first time?

Thanks,
    Tony Chain

Tony Chain [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Yes I'm using 2088 R2.

The problem occurs in report manager.  I have 5 parameters the first three are cascading, the last two are date with default of today and I do allow null values, so if a user wants 'ALL' dates they can just check the 'null' box. I select all the cascading parameters change the from date and click 'view report', and the report does not render I see the 'done' messge at the bottom of the IE window, if I click 'view report' a second time the report renders. If I change the from date and tab out of the text box and click 'view report' the report renders.

The report runs fine in BIDS, i tried to mve the date parameters to the be the first two to enter, but that didn't work either and I also have an issue with the cascading parameters when I moved the dates to the top, my last two cascading parameters don't work unless I click 'view report'.

Thanks for your help.

Dan1104

Dan1104
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for providing detailed information and I can reproduce the scenario.

Based on my testing, if we type in the date in the textbox of the date parameter instead of select in the calendar, and then click the “View Report” button, the report will not render until we click the “View Report” again.

This behavior might be another limitation of Report Manager. For the first time we click the “View Report” button, Report Manager only post the date in the textbox to the Report Server for validating. If the date is valid, we can click the “View Report” to view the Report. Otherwise, error message will be returned.

Currently, in order to view the report by only one click, please press “Enter” after type in the date, then the date will be posted for validating. After that, we can click the “View Report” to see report.

Since this behavior is not user-friendly, please also submit your suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Tony Chain

Tony Chain [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chain Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:14 AM
    Friday, December 31, 2010 2:45 AM