Put my program on the iphone?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I was wondering if I could put a program on the app store. my brother has an account for it but he said it takes "objective C". is there anyway to convert small basic to that?? like maybe converting it to visial basic and doing it from there???.

(If this is off topic then please tell me)              Thanks in advance 8-)

Zock77

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:08 AM
    Answerer

Answers

• You would have to use MonoTouch.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:35 AM
  • how would you convert small basic to c# or .net??

Zock77

Small Basic already runs with .NET, as .NET is a framework.

Converting to C# would be fairly simple. Add a reference to the SmallBasicLibrary.dll file, and rewrite your code. You would have to obey C# syntax, though. That means that instead of:

A = 100
    If A = 100

' Stuff EndIf

You would need to do the following:

int A = 100;
    if (A == 100)
    {
        // Stuff
    }

There are also syntactic differences when using While and For loops. You might as well use C#. Not only do you have a far more expansive BCL (the entire .NET Framework and any C or C++ libraries or libraries written in another CLR-compatible language, as opposed to the limited Small Basic Library), but it will also be faster in several places. Arrays, for example.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:57 PM
  • So how would you run it? on notepad? (Maybe I should go to the .net forum if there is one)

Zock77

You would have to compile it. There are two ways you can do this. You can either use Visual Studio, and its compiler, or you can use a command-line version. You'll need to do some checking for the command-line version.

If, for example, you wanted to compile a C# application against version 4.0 of the .NET Framework, you would need to install it and then find its directory.

You would then enter this into the Command Prompt (WinKey + R, type cmd and press enter). Then type csc and the file path to your C# file:

It will then compile, or output errors if there are any. The official MSDN C# forum can be found here.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:41 PM

All replies

• You would have to use MonoTouch.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:35 AM

Zock77

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:00 PM
    Answerer

Zock77

Small Basic already runs with .NET, as .NET is a framework.

Converting to C# would be fairly simple. Add a reference to the SmallBasicLibrary.dll file, and rewrite your code. You would have to obey C# syntax, though. That means that instead of:

A = 100
    If A = 100

' Stuff EndIf

You would need to do the following:

int A = 100;
    if (A == 100)
    {
        // Stuff
    }

There are also syntactic differences when using While and For loops. You might as well use C#. Not only do you have a far more expansive BCL (the entire .NET Framework and any C or C++ libraries or libraries written in another CLR-compatible language, as opposed to the limited Small Basic Library), but it will also be faster in several places. Arrays, for example.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:57 PM
  • So how would you run it? on notepad? (Maybe I should go to the .net forum if there is one)

Zock77

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:09 PM
    Answerer

Zock77

You would have to compile it. There are two ways you can do this. You can either use Visual Studio, and its compiler, or you can use a command-line version. You'll need to do some checking for the command-line version.

If, for example, you wanted to compile a C# application against version 4.0 of the .NET Framework, you would need to install it and then find its directory.

You would then enter this into the Command Prompt (WinKey + R, type cmd and press enter). Then type csc and the file path to your C# file:

It will then compile, or output errors if there are any. The official MSDN C# forum can be found here.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:41 PM