none
Searching for users in SharePoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• So my problem is this.  We have a requirement that when someone does a search for a person on our intranet the results display a certain amount of data such as address, post code, mobile phone number etc.  We already have this data in AD which is Sync'd to Azure and appears in Exchange.  If I hit the "apps" button and then "people" in Office 365 and search for a user the data is there and correct.  So how do I get a SharePoint search box to display the same data?

I know I can Sync data from AD to Sharepoint using the following:

https://github.com/OfficeDev/PnP/tree/master/Samples/Core.BulkUserProfileUpdater

But I'm hoping there is a better method.  Is there a way for SharePoint to look at Exchange for the search results or redirect the search to go to the Office 365 People Page and parse in the search query?

I am open to suggestions and any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

As search function is very limited in SharePoint online, so it may cannot search Office 365 directory service.

As we all know, only a few attributed are supported to sync from Office 365 directory service to SharePoint online user profiles, we need to update other values programmatically with the web services provided in the link in your post.

For more information about SharePoint Online, you can post your question to the forum for Office 365: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx .
    More experts will assist you, then you will get more information relation to SharePoint Online.

Best regards.

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2015 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Per my knowledge, we can use Office 365 Directory Sync tool to sync the user profiles to Office 365 directory infrastructure.

The Directory Synchronization Tool (DirSync) allows on-premises Active Directory user profiles to be synchronized with the Office 365 directory service, which is then synched with SharePoint Online user profiles.

And automatic profile synchronization with the Office 365 directory service occurs at regular predetermined intervals. Changes may take up to 24 hours before they appear in a user’s profile.

More reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-SharePoint-Online-user-profiles-from-the-SharePoint-admin-center-494bec9c-6654-41f0-920f-f7f937ea9723?CorrelationId=abb1c2b3-be24-489f-9de5-b64366e7af92&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best regards.

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:39 AM
  • Hello Victoria,

We are using Dirsync to sync on premise AD to Azure and Office 365 but only certain attributes appear in SharePoint Online.  Unfortunately I cannot see a way for SharePoint Online to read these attributes from Office 365 directory service or Azure AD.  So I think my only options are to either populate SharePoint online but then this process needs to be managed and maintained going forward (we have over 6000 users), or change the search to point to Office 365 directory service which already contains the required data.

Do you know if there is a way for SharePoint Online to pull additional attributes from the Office 365 Directory Service?

Regards

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:38 AM
  • Hi Simon,

As search function is very limited in SharePoint online, so it may cannot search Office 365 directory service.

As we all know, only a few attributed are supported to sync from Office 365 directory service to SharePoint online user profiles, we need to update other values programmatically with the web services provided in the link in your post.

For more information about SharePoint Online, you can post your question to the forum for Office 365: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx .
    More experts will assist you, then you will get more information relation to SharePoint Online.

Best regards.

Victoria

Friday, March 6, 2015 2:28 AM