MSDN subscription expird 8/1/2013 - how long do I have before I can no longer pay for an "upgrade?" RRS feed

• Question

• This is a personal subscription, not a company paid for subscription so this comes out of my own pocket. I'm curious, if I wait, let's say, 3 months, will I still get to pay the "upgrade" rate? Or, do I need to pay this right away? If I do, I will, but to be quite honest, my thinking is this: If I were to pay 3 months late each time, and the subscription date starts the date I pay, over the course of 4 upgrades (at this rate) I will have paid only 4 instead of 5. Over 5 years I save $800. It's sounding like I'm a super cheap-skate when I see it actually typed out there and not just an idea in my head, but.. I suppose that's ok. Thanks for any insight in to this.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hey Billy,

I think there are two things you're asking about: upgrading and renewing, although since you're thinking about doing this over multiple years, perhaps you're more thinking of renewals?

In the MSDN Licensing whitepaper (its a bit long, but linked from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx), there is a section on retail renewals that states:

Retail Renewals

Retail MSDN subscriptions must be renewed annually. The renewal grace period—that is, the period from when the MSDN subscription expires to the point where the customer loses the option to renew at the renewal price—is 30 days for Retail Licenses.<o:p></o:p>

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:59 PM
    • Edited by Mike Kinsman Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:59 PM html removed
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 7:59 PM