none
Monitoring a WES7 machine (SCOM or...) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I don't know in what section of the forum I should ask so excuse me for any mistake.

I was asked to create an image (Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1) for digital signage machines (I can't decide of the manufacturer, the machine is already selected).
    The customer has also asked for a monitoring solution of these machines.
    We should be able to monitor hardware and software.

Does anyone use any monitoring applications ?
    We have been asked to see if SCOM is a possible solution. If I look in the specs I see that SCOM R2 supports Windows 7 Professional for Embedded Systems and Windows 7 Ultimate for Embedded Systems. Does that mean that is it also good for WES7 ?
    For the software part, I have seen that there is AVIcode on the Microsoft website, so the developpers in our company are going to take a look at it.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments/ideas

Marc.

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Generally any software designed for Windows 7 should work on Windows Embedded Standard 7. Microsoft has released a template for ensuring the necessary components to run SCOM are in your image here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads/windows-embedded-compatible-applications-chooser.aspx
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Marc

The answer to your question is Windows Embedded Device Manager 2011!  Digital Signage devices built on top of WES7 can be managed by Windows Embedded Device Manager 2011 as an extension to SCOM.  Take a look at this web site and see if it suits your needs.

http://www.windowsembedded.com/devicemanager

Hope it helps.

Ivan

Friday, May 6, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your answers.

Ivan, I was already looking at Device Manager 2011. Our SCCM Team is trying to install this product but they are having problem (if I have well understood, Device Manager doesn't detect the site during install (I am waiting for the complete problem desscription but apparently, it may be caused by the ICP that are installed).
    Can you tell me where we can find support for this product ? in the SCCM forums or in the Windows Embedded forums ?

Am I wrong if I say that Device Manager can't monitor a machine ? you can manage it, but monitor it ?

Thanks.

Friday, May 13, 2011 1:48 PM
  • I'll get someone from the Device Manager team to respond to your questions.  Stay tuned...

Ivan

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:55 PM
  • SombreSire,

My name is Arvid, one of the Program Managers in the team that built WEDM.

Can you share more details about the issues you're having during setup?

You are correct. Device Manager will help you manage a device, not monitor it (unless you count reports as monitoring).

//Arvid Elias

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Ivan

Hello Arvid,

Thanks for your message, I will ask one of my colleague from the SCCM Team to give an exact description of the problem on the forum as soon as possible.

Marc.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Hello Arvid,

I received some informations about the problem : only the Console Add-in can be installed.
    When you launch the setup, in the custom setup, the only feature that can be installed is Console Add-in. When you click Next, you get a summary of what will be installed and you see Server Core Components and Device Imaging Service greyed out. Only the Console Add-in is in bold.

There is no error at the end of the installation. To verify the installation, we checked in the console if we saw the new collections for the embedded devices but there is nothing.

The server is a Windows 2008 SP1 32b, the SCCM version is SP2 R3 with ICP2 (version 4.00.6487.2000, R3 installed, build 6487)

I have a log file of the installation but it's too large to paste it in here and we don't have access to any file/image sharing site. I can send it to you if you like.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc.

Edit : I have found a way to give you the log file, here is the link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6753427/edm.log

Monday, May 16, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Based on your setup experience it appears as setup acts as if all its requirement are not met.

I'm following up with the setup team and will let you know as we have an update.

//Arvid

Monday, May 16, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Hi Marc,

The WEDM server setup is checking for Windows Server 2008 SP2 as part of the pre-req check.

If that requirement is not fullfilled it will still allow the console extension to be installed, assuming those pre-reqs are met. This is what I think is what is happening to you.

Please let me know if this solves the issue.

//Arvid

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Hello Arvid,

Indeed the server is still with SP1. We have contacted our Server team to ask them to update the server to SP2.
    As soon as it is done we will try again the installation.

Thanks again for your help

Marc.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Hello Arvid,

It was indeed the problem. The server was only in 2008 SP1; as soon as the SP2 was installed we were able to succesfully install Device Manager 2011.

Just an idea, but it would be usefull to add this to the requirements in the documentation.
    If I check at the faq ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-device-manager-faq.aspx ), it only defines the requirements for SCCM and not the OS.

Again, many thanks for your help, we will now test the products.

Marc.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Hi Arvid,

Can I bother you a little bit again ?

As I mention in my previous post, we have succesfully installed Device Manager on our server. We already have 3 Windows Embedded devices that have been detected by the server.
    We can find these 3 devices under the collection 'All Windows Embedded Devices'.

My question is how does the assignement to the subcollections work ?
    If I take the properties of the 'All Windows Embedded Devices', I can find this query under the membership rules :

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_SYSTEM where ResourceType = 5 and OperatingSystemNameandVersion like '%Embedded%'

But if I do the same for the subcollections 'All Digital Signage Devices', 'All Handeled Devices', 'All other Devices', 'All Point of Services Devices' and 'All Thin Client Devices', there are no membership rules !
    Is this a normal behaviour ? Is it for the customer (us then) to set the membership rules ?

A last question, if we have further question about this product, where is it better to post them ? in the SCCM forums or in the Windows Embedded forums ? isn't it possible to have a sub-forum dedicated for this product ?

Thanks

Have a nice day.

Marc.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Hi Marc,

I'm glad it worked!

Thank you for your suggestion, it's something we're looking into.

No bother at all. We're very excited to learn about your thoughts and experiences of our product.

The "All Windows Embed..." collection will contain all devices that has the embedded device identifying registry  key.

The path to the key is: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation
    If the value for the above mentioned key is set to DWORD "5" for a device then that device will also be represented under the "All Other Devices" collection. If the value is "1" then it will, in addition to appear under all windows embedded devices also appear under the "All Windows Thin Client Devices".
    The registry value is set based on the input given during the WEDM client installation.

All the pre-generated WEDM collections are query collections and should look just like the one you just pasted.

When an OEM is installing WEDM on a device there are also a couple of other values that they can set via registry keys, such as OEM name and model name. These values are read by one of the WEDM services and it will dynamically create sub collections based on the values (the service parses inventory data on a 60min schedule)

Feel free to post in either the Embedded forums or SCCM forums. We may create a sub-forum in the future (when the volume of questions and comments has increased)

Thank you for testing WEDM!

//Arvid

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:25 AM
  • A couple more points to add to this thread.

First, the requirement for Win2008-SP2 should be the very first prerequisite listed.  I spent 3hrs troubleshooting .NET, accounts & security, and my SCCM install before stumbling across this thread.  Please update the documentation to include this.

Second, it appears that specifying a alternate installation path is a problem...I wanted to install this into my SCCM directory on the D:\ drive (D:\SCCM\WEDM).  I had nothing but SCCM Provider errors after a "successful" installation, and WEDM was completely unusable.  I removed it, rebooted, and reinstalled to its default (C:\Program Files\Embedded Device Manager Server).  Now it seems to be working fine.

Please put some more effort into having complete and accurate documentation.  Thank you,

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:06 PM
  • SteelyGlint,
    The pre-reqs will be described better in the upcoming service pack release of WEDM 2011.

We'll look into the alternative path issue you described.

Thanks for providing awesome feedback!

//Arvid

Friday, December 2, 2011 3:02 AM
  • My question is how does the assignement to the subcollections work ?
    If I take the properties of the 'All Windows Embedded Devices', I can find this query under the membership rules :

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_SYSTEM where ResourceType = 5 and OperatingSystemNameandVersion like '%Embedded%'

But if I do the same for the subcollections 'All Digital Signage Devices', 'All Handeled Devices', 'All other Devices', 'All Point of Services Devices' and 'All Thin Client Devices', there are no membership rules !
    Is this a normal behaviour ? Is it for the customer (us then) to set the membership rules ?

Hi Marc,

The reason for this is that the All Windows Emb... collection query is generated at setup. The other collection queries are generated by the WEDM common service after the server has gathered inventory information from embedded devices of the different types.

The short story behind this design is that if you run a query that contains attributes that aren't yet known by SCCM it causes a confusing result.

Friday, December 2, 2011 3:16 AM