Connecting two List web parts. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am creating a webpage.I have two custom lists.I added the two lists to webparts in the webpage.Now I am connecting the two lists so that when someone selects a Manager name from List1 the second list filters and displays all the information about the selected manager.

This works fine.But my problem is I don't want to display the Manager column in List2.If I don't display the manager column in List2 I cannot connect both the lists.

Is there a way where we can connect two list web parts without displaying the connecting field in one of the web part?

Can somebody help me with this.

Thanks a lot!!

• Moved by Emir Liu Monday, November 19, 2012 5:48 AM (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Discussions and Questions)
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi kannari,

How do you remove the column, please remove it from "Common Control Tasks" View.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, November 23, 2012 3:31 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 11:02 AM
  • I believe you'll have to use dataview web part. If I remember correctly if you remove the manager field from one of the list's view, the connection will break. That's why you're getting the error.

I'd recommend creating a dataview using sharepoint designer if you need to remove manager field from the view but still have the filter/connection working.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:02 AM

All replies

• Hi kannari,

Do you use list view web parts to display these 2 lists?

Base on my test, we can also make connection between 2 lists with the column that is not visible on current view as the Provider and Consumer Field. Could you please recheck it in Configure Connection webpage dialog?

If it still does not work, you could try to use a data view web part.

Open page from SharePoint Designer > Insert > Data View > Empty Data View > Select list2 > Select some fields you need to visible them here > Insert as Multiple item view.

Then make connection between list1 and data view web part.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Thankyou so much Emir for your reply.

I think I am not using list view web parts.When I add the web parts to the page I select the list name to display in the webpart.

I never used the sharepoint designer.I followed the steps you mentioned and when I save the changes in designer I don't see any changes in the browser.

Am I missing something?Please help me.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hi kannari,

If you insert the list by Add Web Part > Select list name under Lists and Libraries gallery, then you are trying to insert a list view web part.

Data view web part is a similar web part with list view web part, but still some differences exist. You can make connection between list view and data view from SharePoint Designer by clicking a data view > Make connection > Send/ Or receive filter from another list > .... similar step when you are in browser.

How about try this way? Still use 2 list view web parts with Manager name in list2. After make connection between list1 and list2, edit list view web part of list2, change to the view without Manager name column, Save the change. Then the connection you made at first is still there.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Hi Emir,

Thankyou for your explanation.

I tried the second procedure you suggested.I made the connection between the lists and after that I deleted the manager name column from the view.I got the following error.

Web Part Error:  Some of the parameters that are required to connect these Web Parts are missing or have unexpected values. The columns this connection depends on may have been deleted or renamed.

Why is this happening? Can you help me.

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:27 PM
  • I forgot to mention, I am using 2007 version.
    Friday, November 16, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Hi kannari,

How do you remove the column, please remove it from "Common Control Tasks" View.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:02 AM
  • I believe you'll have to use dataview web part. If I remember correctly if you remove the manager field from one of the list's view, the connection will break. That's why you're getting the error.

I'd recommend creating a dataview using sharepoint designer if you need to remove manager field from the view but still have the filter/connection working.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:02 AM