"Out of memory..." error wnen installing Project Professional 2010 on Win 7 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• When installing Project Professional on a 4-GB Win 7 64-bit machine, the install process reports "Out of memory...". This even occurs after a clean boot. The same Project Professioanl 2010 file installs OK on a 1-GB Win XP SP3 VM running under Win 7.

What's the issue in the Win 7 environment? What's the fix?

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Noel,

Other than closing MacAfee and other TSR programs, I'm out of suggestions other than contacting your internal IT.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more assistance.

Julie

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Friday, December 30, 2011 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:51 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• What other programs are you running in Windows 7?  Do you have any other programs loaded in start-up?  Check task manager (before trying install) to see what other programs/processes you are running.

Julie

Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Other than McAfee, Cisco AnyConnect VPN, GoogleTalk and Tortoise SVN cache, nothing other than the usual system services which are present after a reboot. About 3 GB free memory after a clean boot. The Win 7 machine is not loaded up with crap.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Did you have any trial or Beta versions of Project installed to the Win 7 machine?  Are you attempting to install the 32bit or 64 bit version of Project?
    Friday, December 30, 2011 12:03 AM
  • No trial or beta version had been installed previously. I don't know if this is a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Project. I haven't seen any documentation indicating different versions as such. Nothing in the version installed in the XP VM indicates 32-bit specifically. If it is a 32-bit version of Project wouldn't Win 7 be able to support it in 32-bit mode or at least try to launch the XP VM environment if that were the case?

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:46 AM
  • I double checked the Microsoft web site regardng Project Professional 2010. It makes NO mention of 32-bit or 64-bit flavors of the product. I have pasted the system requirements below. The target Win7 machine meets the published requirements. There is something very squirelly going on here.

Microsoft Project Professional 2010

The following table lists the system requirements for Microsoft Project Professional 2010.

Component Requirement

Computer and processor

700-megahertz (MHz) processor or higher.

Memory

512 megabytes (MB) RAM or higher.

Hard disk

2 gigabyte (GB) available disk space.

Display

1024 × 768 or higher resolution monitor.

Operating system

Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 3 (32-bit), Windows Vista with SP1, Windows Server 2003 SP2 and MSXML 6.0 (32 bit Office only), Windows Server 2008 or later (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows 7 operating systems.

Other

• Windows Server 2008 with SP2 (64-bit) running Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 is required for certain advanced collaboration functionality. Office Outlook 2003 SP2 or later is required to use the Import Outlook Tasks feature. Visual Reports require Office Excel 2003 SP2 or later and Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007 or later.

• Microsoft Project Server 2010 is required for Enterprise Project, portfolio, and resource management capabilities. Microsoft Project Web App and Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 SP1 or later are required for importing tasks to the Outlook calendar or tasks list.

• SharePoint Server 2010 (installed with Project Server 2010) is required for publishing projects and Windows Workflow Foundation. Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 is required for the Resource Substitution Wizard.

• Use of graphics hardware acceleration requires DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with drivers dated 11/1/2004 or later.

• Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8. Internet functionality requires Internet access (fees might apply).

• To enable the feature that allows synchronizing Project 2010 with a SharePoint task list, you must install either Microsoft Access 2010 or Microsoft Visio 2010.

• Before installing Project 2010 to use Visual Reports with Office 2010, you must install Office 2010, Visio 2010 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services 10.0 OLE DB Provider (available as a free download from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack, October 2008 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=110393).

• To use Project 2010 with Microsoft Office Live Workspace you must have a Windows Live ID.

Product functionality and graphics can vary based on your system configuration.

Some features might require additional or advanced hardware or server connectivity.

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:55 AM
  • I verified that this is the 32-bit version of Project Professional 2010. I went to the Evaluation Download page and it had liks for each flavor. I downloaded both. When attempting to install the 64-bit flavor, the installer complained about the Win 7 machine having 32-bit office installed (thsi was done by my corporate IT people). Next I tried running the installer for the 32-bit eval file. The installer recognized that a prior version of 32-bit Project Professional 2010 had been installed and asked if I wanted to enter a different key or repair the existing installation. I told it to repair the installation. It did its thing and then said to reboot the machine, which I did. The first invocation of Project Professional 2010 after the reboot stated that Project "Failed to launch in safe mode" and proceded to go through a reconfiguration which resulted in the same "out of memory" message. I have pasted the screen shot below.

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Hi Noel,

Other than closing MacAfee and other TSR programs, I'm out of suggestions other than contacting your internal IT.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more assistance.

Julie

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Friday, December 30, 2011 3:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:51 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Exact same problem for me
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:30 AM