regarding mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• when we mirror the database, we can have two copies..whether is it possible to view both  principal and mirrored database without the failure of principal one?or after the crashing of principal only,we can go for the mirrored database?

saipanendar

• Edited by saipanendar Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:45 PM

Answers

• when we mirror the database, we can have two copies..whether is it possible to view both  principal and mirrored database without the failure of principal one?or after the crashing of principal only,we can go for the mirrored database?

saipanendar

Hello ,

I database mirroring mirror DB is always in restoring state so you cannot run any query on it.How ever you can take snapshot of principal server and restore it on mirror server to create DB but that will not be in sync with principal.every time you need new copy you have to take snapshot and restore it.

This link has more details

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2011/08/02/the-sql-guy-post-2-using-the-mirror-database-for-reporting-querying-purpose.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by SajnaAhmed Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:13 AM
    • Edited by Shanky_621MVP Friday, September 20, 2013 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:12 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Adding to Shanky's comment, DB snapshots are used for verifying the sync between principal and mirror database widely. This is a great tool for the same. But having multiple snapshots are always a performance concern. 

If you are looking for a reporting database, you can go with Transactional replication which will be suitable candidate for your case.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:30 AM

All replies

saipanendar

Hello ,

I database mirroring mirror DB is always in restoring state so you cannot run any query on it.How ever you can take snapshot of principal server and restore it on mirror server to create DB but that will not be in sync with principal.every time you need new copy you have to take snapshot and restore it.

This link has more details

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2011/08/02/the-sql-guy-post-2-using-the-mirror-database-for-reporting-querying-purpose.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by SajnaAhmed Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:13 AM
    • Edited by Shanky_621MVP Friday, September 20, 2013 5:14 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Adding to Shanky's comment, DB snapshots are used for verifying the sync between principal and mirror database widely. This is a great tool for the same. But having multiple snapshots are always a performance concern. 

If you are looking for a reporting database, you can go with Transactional replication which will be suitable candidate for your case.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:30 AM
  • thank you .. your information is helpful for me

saipanendar

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:10 AM