Power Pivot Column Order on Data Refresh RRS feed

• Question

• dear PowerPivot enthusiasts,

a question regarding reloading data within a PowerPivot Data Model:

Is there any way to disable the "preserve column sort" when reloading data with added columns. For example I load a SQL table into PowerPivot and then realize, I forgot to add a column. I make the correction on SQL level and then reload the data in Excel PowerPivot - the problem is that it always puts the new column to the end, regardless where it is in the original SQL table. I know I can move the column, but when I then create a Pivot table, the new column is still at the end of the list. 

With a "normal" data model, you could go to: Data --> Connections --> Properties --> uncheck Preserve column sort / filter / layout and after that the new added column would be in the intended place. 

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Jernej 

Monday, March 21, 2016 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Jernej,

According to your description, you are experiencing the issue that the new inserted column display at the end instead of intended place in a Pivot table, right?

I have tested it on my local environment, we can reproduce this issue. And I deleted a column and re- inserted it, it also display at the end. Based on my research, the fields display order is based on the import order in your PowerPivot data model. And it seems that we cannot control the order manually.

If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:19 AM