none
Getting Started RRS feed

All replies

• I just want to know how to put my app out as an .exe programme.

every time when I click the "save" button I got a .sb one...................

pls. tell me,thank you.

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:15 PM
  • After you run the app, go to the folder you saved the .sb file.  You'll see a .exe program alongside.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:22 PM
  • My installation does not run.  I installed 3.5 version of .NET but the SmallBasics.msi file does not run.  I double click and hit run and nothing happens.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 12:11 AM
  • What version of OS are you using?  Perhaps the downloaded file is corrupted, can you try downloading again and try?

Also, do you think an Antivirus might be blocking the app?

Friday, December 5, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 with all the latest updates.

We have Trend Micro running on our network, but I am not sure if I can turn it off to test.

I did download the .msi file several times and even tried rebooting my computer.  Nothing helps.  I double click the .msi file, I see the dialog box and click on the "Run" button.  The box disappears and nothing happens.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 11:01 PM
  • For those of you (like I was) looking for a quick way to find the Microsoft Small Basic - An Introduction to Programming, here is the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/0/6/90616372-C4BF-4628-BC82-BD709635220D/Introducing%20Small%20Basic.pdf
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:55 AM
  • I cannot click the build or check function in small basic is there a reason why?
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:34 AM
  • The buttons were disabled just before Small Basic was first released. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/thread/ed426fd2-9a00-4922-ae34-c957422fb0d1

Friday, January 9, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I have installed the .Net Framework, and Small Basic.

Now when I turn my computer on a Windows Explorer window loads with the folder SmallBasic.

I dragged the Small Basic program from the Start, Programs menu to the desktop - did not make a shortcut.

How can I prevent the Windows Explorer window from loading at startup, without removing the program and reinstalling.

Thanks,

Harry

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:05 PM
  • The first day I tried SB was fine. Now it keeps crashing and I have to re-install it. It will work for a short while and then crash when I try to run a new program.

"Microsoft Small Basic has encountered a problem and needs to close" etc.

Please can you help as I think it is an excelllent idea, but it is getting a bit tedious to use.

OS XP pro SP3

Windows Update reports no critical updates.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Have the very same problem which I just posted as a separate thread.  Also using XP pro SP3 and latest .net 3.5 updates.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 9:03 PM
  • ctanner,
        I have not resolved this problem and I was thinking of starting a new thread myself as up to now there had been no response. I am posting here and not in your new thread as I don't wish it to look like the problem has been solved.
    Try this, I've found it prevents a lot of the crashes. Always save your program whenever you have made a change before you run it. Please let me know if this works for you too.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Hi ctanner and stendec,

When you run a program without saving, Small Basic uses the Temporary directory (on Vista it is usually: c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp, and on XP, I believe it is "c:\documents and settings\username\appdata\local\temp").  You can find what directory that is by going to command prompt and typing "set temp".

If your account has explicitly been denied access to this folder or, you have a disk quota on this folder, you can run into issues while running your program. 

Like Stendec pointed out, this problem can be solved by explicitly saving your program, in which case, Small Basic will use that folder location instead of the temp folder.

Can you check and tell us if this what your observation is?

Thanks
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 6:14 PM
  • I personally have SB installed on my laptop running XP where I have manager access and about 25gigs of storage space remaining.

Still, every time I run a program without saving the source first, SB itself crashes. In case you can make use of the information the temp variable is set as such: TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\MATTHE~1.PAR\LOCALS~1\Temp

But you are right, getting into the habit of saving a blank source file as soon as you start a project, solves the problem.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 9:35 PM
    Answerer
  • Vijaye,
        The temp directory is C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp. I wish to correct the impression Coding Cat may have given about saving the source. It is not a question of saving the source of a new project, I have to save the source after every edit. I have administrator rights on my PC and hence no access restrictions and no quota limit.

PS. I am struggling with an ailing hard drive which I need to replace urgently, so if am I not able to reply to any posts for a while, this is the reason.

Monday, February 9, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Vijaye,

Good Fun - Great Idea, ...

any ETA for v0.3?

Pat Garard, Melbourne Australia
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:58 AM