Transfer photos from IPhone/Windows Phone to Surface RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any code examples on how to transfer photos from Iphone or Windows phone onto surface?

thank you,

Rimma

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Rimma

There are many ways to achieve your result, one of these, that is  the one I would recommend, is using WCF.

Basically there are 2 ways of using WCF to transfer files from an handheld device to the surface unit:

1. Hosting the service on a separate server ( the server  could be the surface unit too)
    2. Hosting the service on the surface app

in both cases you will consume the service from your handheld device and you can expose your service with more than one binding including Json (as is the only serialization that iPhone accepts).

For a detailed description of the architecture I strongly suggest to read Hosting and Consuming WCF Services (fully applicable to .Net 4).

There are also many articles online talking about your problem such as:

http://stefanoricciardi.com/2009/08/28/file-transfer-with-wcp/

I'm also working on a Surface sample reproducing the amnesia connect app from Razorfish so if you will have some weeks of patience you will have all the code you need.

Regards

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    Founder and CTO Software Lab
    @gsantopaolo
    softwarelab.it - digitalshopwindow.com - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Rimma

There are many ways to achieve your result, one of these, that is  the one I would recommend, is using WCF.

Basically there are 2 ways of using WCF to transfer files from an handheld device to the surface unit:

1. Hosting the service on a separate server ( the server  could be the surface unit too)
    2. Hosting the service on the surface app

in both cases you will consume the service from your handheld device and you can expose your service with more than one binding including Json (as is the only serialization that iPhone accepts).

For a detailed description of the architecture I strongly suggest to read Hosting and Consuming WCF Services (fully applicable to .Net 4).

There are also many articles online talking about your problem such as:

http://stefanoricciardi.com/2009/08/28/file-transfer-with-wcp/

I'm also working on a Surface sample reproducing the amnesia connect app from Razorfish so if you will have some weeks of patience you will have all the code you need.

Regards

Gian Paolo Santopaolo
    Founder and CTO Software Lab
    @gsantopaolo
    softwarelab.it - digitalshopwindow.com - thedarksideof.net
    Disclaimer: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Perfect. I will certainly be interested to see the code.

thank you,

Rimma

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:45 PM
  • If you have music on your old computer, You have to copy the songs or files like documents to your USB Flash Drive first. Connect USB drive or external hard disk to Windows 8 tablet and copy the files or songs manually.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:37 PM