none
Error Exporting to Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report with a sub-report that is a matrix control.  I get an error when exporting to excel:

An error occurred during local report processing.

An error occurred during rendering of the report.

An error occurred during rendering of the report.

Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

Anyone familiar with this?  There isn't much information to go on.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

• Wil, I notice in other posts that you have converted a lot of reports from Crystal.  Is this report a converted report (or did it start out "life" that way)?  It may not be involved, but I'm wondering, because of your other post, whether there is some sort of bug in the conversion process...

If you created this report from scratch, obviously, that's not a factor <s>.

>L<

Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:42 AM
  • All the reports originally were Crystal, but they weren't technically 'converted'.  The data routines were mostly left unchanged, but the reports are built from scratch.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:56 AM
  • OK, sorry for the red herring. 

I definitely know that I have exported to Excel with a subreport with a matrix, and in some cases I have seen errors but not that one.   The error is usually "some data may have been lost" and the result ranges from a report that I can't tell what might be wrong with it to a completely blank workbook <s>.

The Excel port, and success thereof, is going to be more or less good depending on how complex the layout is (not the data, I don't think).

For example of something(s) that might go wrong, see here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2098562&SiteID=1

For another thing, each forced page break is a sheet in Excel, there might be a limit.

For yet another... there is of course a limit to the number of columns in Excel (raised quite a bit in 2007, but I think we're always creating Excel 2003 in RS).  So... what does your matrix look like, in that respect?

Another thing that might trip up Excel is overlaid layout items... especially if some are merged.

If you can't figure it out I'd be willing to look at your layout.  I don't need the data.

>L<

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:49 AM