SetACL.exe fails during installation of software when run from CD RRS feed

• Question

• I have an installation program that fails when 'run' from CD. The SetACl.exe fails to set permission on a directory (created by the install) for the group 'Users' and 'Power Users'. Failure = access denied.

Note. The installtion is run from an account within the group Administrators

SetACL.exe is copied to the installation temp directory under c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\etc....

If the install runs from the laptop (e.g. a repair, or if copied first to the laptop) SetACL does NOT fail.

Also if I use the command prompt the run the same command using SetACL from the above temp directory ... it also works!

It ONLY fails when run from CD??

Any clues/help would be appreciated!!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:34 PM

Answers

• When I installed SP1 the problem went away!

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:40 PM

All replies

• My guess would be that what is occuring is that SetACL.exe is not being run from an elevated context when you are encountering these errors.  This could occur if it is an EXE custom action in an MSI package and the 'NoImpersonate' bit is not set, or if you try to run this at the first run of your software, or something like that.

For a brief overview on UAC (the thing that makes it so that 'administrative group' != administrative privileges):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206295(VS.85).aspx

There are a number of links at the bottom of this document where you can get more details.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:07 PM
  • When I installed SP1 the problem went away!

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:40 PM