none
event not firing RRS feed

• Question

• Access 2013.accdb: A unbound single view form has inset a bound continuous form.

The click and double click events of the detail section do not fire.

I have sanity checked that the sub form does fire in it's object's Enter event using a test message box....

The continuous form has record selectors and they select the record - the triangle moves....but if I click or double click I am not able to fire any event there with a test message.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:23 PM

Answers

• In my testing in Access 2010 you need to click on an empty area of the detail section for this to work, but it does work.  Clicking directly on a control in the subform doesn't work, i.e. that will not fire the Detail_click event of the underlying subform.  Also this does not work if the view of the underlying subform is datasheet instead of continuous forms.  Perhaps a better approach would be to use the Current event instead of the Detail_click event of the underlying subform?

-Bruce

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi msdnPublicIdentity,

Let me clear first.

You have said that you have unbound single view form.

Inside that form you have a sub form. That displays records.

You have set enter event of sub form that is fire correctly.

You have button in detail section and click event and double click event is not fired right?

But when I try to reproduce this issue the events are working.

Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:00 AM
  • strangely I did not get an email that you replied....but just was checking the board.... hmmmm

Your list is correct except there is no button in the detail section; I have put vba in the Detail Section's events: Click and DoubleClick. the vba is just to open a message box that says 'test'

So when I put the cursor in any record of this continuous form (sub form) . . . the arrow goes to the record, so I know that the cursor is active...  when I click or double click there is no message box opening...nothing is firing.

My goal, is on double click - to open a Single View form of the record selected.  I have done this before, and frankly considered this an easy thing to do.  But when the form opening would not fire I began trying to debug why not and so have moved to just a message box....and still no action...  so I am baffled....

Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:17 PM
  • In my testing in Access 2010 you need to click on an empty area of the detail section for this to work, but it does work.  Clicking directly on a control in the subform doesn't work, i.e. that will not fire the Detail_click event of the underlying subform.  Also this does not work if the view of the underlying subform is datasheet instead of continuous forms.  Perhaps a better approach would be to use the Current event instead of the Detail_click event of the underlying subform?

-Bruce

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:46 PM
  • that's it. the continuous form's detail area spacing only allowed the fields....so to click in the detail area one was clicking inside a field.......I tried also the area on left where the triangle is located...no joy at all...

but then I stretched open the detail area so there is blank space between rows...and if you click in the blank space, not in a field, then it fires.... so kudos on finding that...

I don't think my scenario is unusual; the continuous form has lots of records and is a summary of fields..... they want to double click on one to 'zoom in' - essentially open a single view form of that record that has all the data...... it is weird that they have to click in the white space but not on the actual record fields... in fact that is unnatural and will never work....I guess I have put in a button....

am baffled cause I seem to remember setting this same thing up several times in the .mdb ~2003 era and not having this problem though my memory cells are not what they used to be....

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:13 PM