Media support in WPF without Windows Media Player 10+ ? RRS feed

• Question

•  I'm wondering if it is possible to deploy Windows Media Foundation without Windows media player 10 or 11?

Here's the context. I have a WPF application running in a corporate enterprise setting. WPF requires Windows Media Foundation for rich media support. Windows Media Foundation is distributed via Windows media player 10 and 11. The corporate release schedule for WMP 10/11 is too far in the future for me to wait. But because I don't need the entire player infrastructure, just media foundation I'm wondering if there is a way to deploy just that component.

--Scott W.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:11 PM

Answers

• My WPF MediaKit is an alternative to the MediaElement.  If you are just looking for simple audio support, look into the SoundPlayer.

-Jer
    • Marked as answer by Marco Zhou Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:06 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:02 AM

All replies

• It looks like you will get an exception in this configuration beacuse WPF needs to be able to create a WindowsMediaPlayer OCX object when you instantiate a WPF MediaElement.

David
    Monday, October 20, 2008 8:39 PM
  • No exception. Just silence. Is there any way to deploy the OCX w/o the entire WMP package?
    --Scott W.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 11:03 PM
  • I'm not aware of one, though if there were one I'm not sure I'd know about it anyway...

David

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:31 PM
  • My WPF MediaKit is an alternative to the MediaElement.  If you are just looking for simple audio support, look into the SoundPlayer.

-Jer
    • Marked as answer by Marco Zhou Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:06 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:02 AM