Get rid of the Recycle bin in Windows 8, increase system performance and stability

General discussion

• With all this enormous and various secure storage capabilities provided for in Windows 8 I can't keep from wondering when will Microsoft get rid of the $RECYCLE BIN entity that is automatically created on each volume and under each user account in the amount of 10 % of the disc space. It is not very convenient and sometimes even not possible to edit this feature just to preserve system's memory integrity. I honestly believe that considering all available tools for file and system backups the $recycle bin feature spanning all volumes is utterly deprecated and Microsoft should make it optional and subject to some administrative or group policy control in the least. It should at least be configured to be by default disabled subject to further user optional configuring.
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Monday, January 09, 2012 8:55 PM

All replies

• I disagree, it's VERY easy for normal users to understand the trashcan
    concept and use it effectively, where they'd be totally lost on anything
    even slightly more complicated.  Disk space is cheap these days and the
    trashcan only takes up space if there are files in it.

It's okay to make it optional, but make it the default...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, January 09, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Just try to attach 16 TB vhdx while you have other processes going (like storage moving etc. and try to open the Recycle bin. You will see complete hang and memory dump of the whole WDP system in spite of their boasting about RAM auto-regulation etc. If the default Recycle bin size were to be 0% not 10 % of any new disk space this would never have happened
    Vladimir Shipitsyn
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:19 AM
  • That's something that almost all PC users aren't ever going to do, and
    for those that do, that's already something you can set.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Just set it back to 0% and <removed abuse>. The recycling has been the same since bill gate's <removed abuse>. Don't like it than go buy a mac.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:24 PM