none
Need Help Unlocking Locked Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello community, this is my first post so please bear with me as I ask for help here. :)

ISSUE:

I am trying to unlock a drive that has been locked by Bitlocker.

BACKGROUND:

Machine = Dell Latitude E6320

We have corporate managed Bitlocker, however in setting up Bitlocker it appeared to setup as if it was being managed locally. It had me save the recovery info and did not ask me to create a pin. I was able to manually create a pin which would successfully unlock the drive upon reboot, however recovery information could not be retrieved via the server-side Bitlocker Administration & Monitoring console. It was suggested that I try resetting the TPM, which I had done multiple times prior in an attempt to fix a separate issue where I could not set a pin at all, however upon resetting the TPM and rebooting the machine, the machine now boots straight to the following error:

0xc0210000 the action could not be completed because the Bitlocker Drive Encryption key required to unlock the volume could not be obtained

After researching a while, I found Dell's suggestion which did not help at all:

1. If any changes have been made to BIOS without instructions from Dell support revert them

2. Remove all peripherals (including USB devices, and KVMs) that are plugged in to the appliances, leaving only a power cable(s), VGA cable and LAN cable(s). 

3. Re-attempt the boot several times. If Windows boots the peripherals can be re-connected. 

If the above steps fails to recover the system, 

1. The appliance should be powered off, left for around 60 minutes with all cables removed (including both power cables).

2. Reconnect the power cable(s), VGA cable and LAN cable(s).  3. Retry to power up the appliance

After this did not work, I realized that after having set the BIOS to defaults, the TPM had been disabled. I turned the TPM back on and now I get prompted for a PIN on startup, but it does not accept the correct PIN I'm entering and when I press ESC to go into Recovery, I get the error I mentioned previously.

I have a boot disk on a flash drive that I booted to, opened command prompt and ran "manage-bde E: -protectors -get" and the only protector that showed was TPMandPIN. It appears something happened to the recovery protector and it's no longer present, which would explain why I can't get into recovery at all. However, trying to unlock via managa-bde using the PIN doesn't work because it says the password is incorrect, trying to unlock with the recovery password via manage-bde also does not work as it won't accept the recovery key because there is no recovery protector for it to reference anymore.

Is there any way to recover this lost protector? Does anyone have any ideas of any other ways I can get recovery working again on this drive?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Thursday, December 24, 2015 5:23 PM

All replies

• THis doesnt help you.  But i came across this when i was doing my search.

had a Lenovo X1 Yoga and I didn't care about the data on the drive.:

1) Used a Windows 7 Install CD

2) Repair Computer

3) Command Prompt

4) Format the Drive and it removed bit-locker.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Hi ANdy

I had similar issue. I solved it by using below command

Go to command prompt(by any means you can)

manage-bde -protectors -disable C:  

c: can be replaced by your primary partition. This will enable to go into network boot and you can PXE boot to deploy new OS.

Bas

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:09 PM