Storage question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I am developing a tablet app for Windows 8 store and have a question regardig app storage.

Where are you suppose to save application data? With application data I mean any entity that the user creates in the app and needs to be saved and opened at a later time (e.g. documents, pictures, videos or any custom entity). Currently I am using the local or roaming app folder where I serialize my objects to a fiew files. This seems to work fine but I am not really sure if that this is the place you are suppose to store that kind of data (I know I can save settings there as well). Also I know there is a limit on how much data you can save there - In my case would be surprised if my app exceeded 1 Mb in file storage so I guess that will not be an issue. I guess that Skydrive is an option but on the other hand - as an app user I wouldn't my apps to fill my Skydrive with some strange files. Also - I can't rely on a cloud based storage since the user may work offline. So - is the app/roaming folder the right place to store this kind of data?

I really need some advice here.

Thanks
    Thomas

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:56 AM

Answers

• well Local or Roaming are fine, depending on the filesize. If you want to make the files also available from other programs you can also to the LIbraries like Documents / Videos. but like you say it are serialized objects so then think Local / Roaming are better depending on the use case. If the data is device specific it should be in local. If want to give the user the idea he is working in the same app across devices roaming is good, then only aware of the filesize.
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron Xue Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron Xue Friday, November 9, 2012 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:09 AM