none
Cannot Access Files Storage Service

Question

• Folks:

I created a storage account and then two file shares in Azure.

I then retrieved the net use command to use to access those shares.

I opened port 445.

I opened a command prompt and entered the net use command, assigning the Z drive to the Azure Files.

But . . . I see no indication that Z is mapped to my new Azure files service.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Micah

Sunday, December 20, 2015 4:50 AM

Answers

• Before you map file share. You should make sure you have following information with you.

1) Complete Share Path to access.

2) Storage Account Name.

3) Primary Key of Storage account.

You can follow below steps for drive mapping.

1) Once you have above information. Run following command

Note: Replace below placeholder with necessary information.

2) net use Z: \\<storageaccountname>.file.core.windows.net\<sharename> /u:<storageaccountname> <StorageaccountPrimaryKey>

Note: You can get all above placeholder information under azure storage account dashboard. 

Hope this information is helpful.

Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:07 AM

All replies

• What happens when you type in "Z:\" in the command prompt itself?
    Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:16 AM
  • Before you map file share. You should make sure you have following information with you.

1) Complete Share Path to access.

2) Storage Account Name.

3) Primary Key of Storage account.

You can follow below steps for drive mapping.

1) Once you have above information. Run following command

Note: Replace below placeholder with necessary information.

2) net use Z: \\<storageaccountname>.file.core.windows.net\<sharename> /u:<storageaccountname> <StorageaccountPrimaryKey>

Note: You can get all above placeholder information under azure storage account dashboard. 

Hope this information is helpful.

Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:07 AM
  • This was not helpful in the sense that it is what I did previously --- but it WAS helpful in that it worked now!

Perhaps I did not wait long enough after creating the resource.

THANKS!

Micah

Monday, December 21, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Uh oh.  I think I spoke too soon.  Or I have a different problem.

I created a group policy to apply the NET USE command.  (I restarted a workstation and the net use had not applied, but since Fast Logon, that isn't unusual, so I manually did a GPUPDATE and it worked fine.)  When I queried NET USE in the command prompt, I saw the Azure drive.  Great.  And if I do a DIR command, it reports correctly.  so all is good in the Command Prompt world.

BUT the drive does not appear in File Explorer.  Note, however, that if I turn UAC off, it DOES appear in File Explorer.  (And it works in File Explorer on our 2012 R2 server.)  But I can't leave UAC off, both for safety reasons and because Microsoft Edge won't run when UAC is off.

Does anyone know how to work around this problem?

Micah

• Edited by MicahS Monday, December 21, 2015 8:11 PM Learned more.
    Monday, December 21, 2015 6:28 PM