[UWP]Is My App a Candidate for UWP (Project Centennial)/AppX RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Our app is a fairly complex being with respect to installation.  There are various components placed conditionally based on the existence of 3rd party apps, the system architecture, etc.  From the brief look I took at AppX, it appears its just all the app files in some sort of self contained unit.  If this is the case, I guess we would have to have a dump of all the files regardless of the conditions outlined above.  I don't know how that would pan out with regard to the architecture based files that may end up in the same file system location.

I've seen that with InstallShield, which we use to generate our current .msi packages, has a Suitability Testing suite, which I guess would give us some indication of problem areas.

When installed, our app 'talks with' various third party CAD apps so I don't know if that would work in the AppX world.  Can AppX 'stuff' interact with non-AppX or 'regular' Windows applications?

Or is the idea of all of this basically for smaller, self-contained, standalone apps?

Any thoughts, predictions, etc appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Friday, May 27, 2016 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi NitLions,

The apps converted by this converter is not existing as a standard windows 10 universal app, it interacts with a virtualized view of the registry and file system that's indistinguishable from the actual registry and file system.

Before the conversion to UWP, please notice the points listed in the "Preparing your desktop app for conversion to UWP" section of this document:  Convert your desktop application to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Here are some existing samples and some references and Feedback channels: DesktopBridgeToUWP-Samples

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi NitLions,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. 

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Hi NitLions,

The apps converted by this converter is not existing as a standard windows 10 universal app, it interacts with a virtualized view of the registry and file system that's indistinguishable from the actual registry and file system.

Before the conversion to UWP, please notice the points listed in the "Preparing your desktop app for conversion to UWP" section of this document:  Convert your desktop application to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Here are some existing samples and some references and Feedback channels: DesktopBridgeToUWP-Samples

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:30 AM