Design Question about an "actor" in a use case RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

1/do Actors in use case refer only to humans or can they also refer to objects like Account, Phone, Invoice....
    Or is an actor strictly a human who performs action in the system

2/ is here the right place to ask questions about design, uml..etc or is there another place in this forum

Thank you

Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. An actor is either a person or something that interacts with the system (for example - an external system that sends requests). An Account is more of a business entity than an actor.

2. I guess it's a good place as any. Also you might want to try the modeling forum (id 229).

Best of luck,

Ido.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. An actor is either a person or something that interacts with the system (for example - an external system that sends requests). An Account is more of a business entity than an actor.

2. I guess it's a good place as any. Also you might want to try the modeling forum (id 229).

Best of luck,

Ido.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 7:28 PM
  •  Ido Flatow wrote:

Hi,

(for example - an external system that sends requests)

Do u have an example for me, about an actor not being real human :) so that I understand better

or for example:  in the bug tracking system, or a billing solution or CRM. do u know if we can have actors not being persons

Thank you

Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:35 PM
  • thanks a lot for the url

Sunday, November 5, 2006 3:46 PM
  • we pretty often divide the problem into different level of abstraction in order to simplify the problem and solve them one by one, thus people and invoice and account is not mingled in one view because they are researching different domain of problem, or it will increase complexity
    Sunday, November 5, 2006 5:18 PM
  • i think if you are good at modeling like mda or uml, it is a good place, but there is a specific area about modeling, this maybe better place
    Sunday, November 5, 2006 5:19 PM
  • thanks a lot for giving me the tip that i can have off-topic discussion
    Sunday, November 5, 2006 5:20 PM