Universal Windows 8.1 & Phone App accessing on-premise SQL Server DB and offline SQLite DB

Question

• I am new to Windows Mobile App development. I am creating a mobile app that I want to connect and get data/authentication from on-premise SQL Server database.  I then would like to have a local (on device) SQLite DB to hand offline situations.

I am aware that Azure Mobile Services can work with on-premise, azure based and SQLite databases, but I am confused about the whole structure.  Do I need to host anything in Azure if I have an app on the device and the database is on-premise.  The samples for Hybrid connections (BizTalk) connects a Azure website to on-premise database, and there are plenty of samples for devices apps connecting to Azure databases, with the MobileService being hosted in Azure.  Am I able to create and host a mobile service on our on-premise server?  Should I ignore Azure altogether?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:10 PM

Answers

• Azure does make it easier but there is no reason you cant host a web service to get the data from your database and pass it to the mobile app.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Hi Lorettac242,

Without Azure you cannot host Azure Mobile Service, but you can do your own mobile service, Azure is simply making things easier for use as Ken told.

Am I able to create and host a mobile service on our on-premise server?

-> I believe you can.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 20, 2015 1:50 AM

All replies

• Azure does make it easier but there is no reason you cant host a web service to get the data from your database and pass it to the mobile app.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Hi Lorettac242,

Without Azure you cannot host Azure Mobile Service, but you can do your own mobile service, Azure is simply making things easier for use as Ken told.

Am I able to create and host a mobile service on our on-premise server?

-> I believe you can.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 20, 2015 1:50 AM