Shall we run mirroring on two different service packs. RRS feed

• Question

• we have setup sql server 2008 mirrored instances in cluster. we use to upgrade the server to sp3. but client was asking us to apply sp3 on one server one week and another server in another week. 

shall we run the mirroring on two diffrent service packs..

and i would like to know which is the best way to install service packs on mirrored with clusters servers.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

There wont be an immediate  issue if you  run Mirroring with principal and mirror database at different SP level . But to be on safer side and steady operation please update Mirror server as well.

Edit:Installing SP on cluster would be as per below link

Service pack and rolling upgrade

Install SP on instance used in Database mirroring

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:58 PM
  • This is possible. Hopefully you will not encounter any issues as one of the prerequisite of mirroring is to have same version of SQL on principle and Secondary server. Different service packs should be ok but its always good to apply service packs on both sides.

• Edited by Tarakpatel Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tarakpatel Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:11 PM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:47 PM
  • You should always run the service pack through in a test environment of your server and databases first before applying onto your DB Mirror instances.

It is better not to run with different SP for an extended period of time simply to avoid those "unknowns" if for whatever reason you have a failure on one of those instances and are forced live on the other side.

In other words incrementally update each instance to the same level of SP/ CU in the ideal situation.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent
    Contact me through twitter | blog | sqlcloud

Please click "Propose as answer" if a post solves your problem
    or/and vote the post up if it's been helpful.

Want professional SQL Server High Availability Training? Click here

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:14 AM