none
Basic WiFI Triangulation support RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to use the Location platform with basic wifi trianulation provider. (i.e. see what wifi endpoints are visiable (MAC addreses) - get their relative strength and location from a service to compute an approximate location) Even being able to identify the list of wifi endpoints would get me started (Then being able to identify if I was at work or at home). Is thier such a thing? Would I need to write the appropriate driver if I want to experiment?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:32 PM

Answers

• David,

Yes, the location platform can use a Wifi triangulation provider, but as you note an appropriate driver must be supplied by the provider.  If you're looking for third parties to provide this, I'd recommend contacting them to inquire about their plans for Windows 7 support.  If you have your own database of APs, then you can write a driver on your own to connect the two.  Start by looking at the networking APIs to enumerate the visible APs.

Dan
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• David,

Yes, the location platform can use a Wifi triangulation provider, but as you note an appropriate driver must be supplied by the provider.  If you're looking for third parties to provide this, I'd recommend contacting them to inquire about their plans for Windows 7 support.  If you have your own database of APs, then you can write a driver on your own to connect the two.  Start by looking at the networking APIs to enumerate the visible APs.

Dan
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Also check out the Network List Manager API - that's probably the most convenient supported way for detecting arrival and departure of networks, and retrieving metadata (I doubt APs will be exposed if the machine doesn't actually connect to it, but it's another place to start). A C# code sample is here (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/NLM), but it's just wrapping COM, which is what you'd presumably need for your sensor driver.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Check this out: http://geosenseforwindows.com/

Looks like the dynamic duo of Rafael Rivera (of withinwindows.com fame) and Long Zheng (of istartedsomething.com) have created just that - and yes, it indeed installs a driver and becomes a Windows 7 location provider.

Awesome!
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Just keep in mind, we're working out some kinks!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 5:52 AM