none
[Python][Web Apps] Use Python pandas in a web job RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to use the pandas package in a web job. I included the zipped pandas source code in my zip file uploaded to the web job. In my Python script, I added 

sys.path.insert(0, 'pandas.zip')

This is how I used the Azure SDK for Python in a web job, but it's not working for pandas. I guess it depends on how the package was written, but I don't know how to compile a pandas package that can be used in a web job.

Any idea?

Thank you! 

Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:19 PM

Answers

• As the WebJob created by python scripts, will run in Azure Web App default python runtime, which is located at D:\Python27 or D:\Python34. And we don’t have the permission to complete the python env with the full dependencies to enable to run package pandas.

As in my test, I tried several ways to manage to run pandas code, but only can be successful when I leverage virtual environment of python on Azure Web App, I can make it work.

So you can try in this way:

1, create a virtual env of python on local, and deploy it on your application directory on Azure Web App, you can refer to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-python-create-deploy-django-app/#web-app-development---maclinux---command-line for more information.

2, you can directly upload the dependencies of pandas to the library of python virtual env on Azure, which may similar with “D:\home\site\wwwroot\env\Lib\site-packages>” (assume the virtual env's name is "env"). Of cause, you can install the packages when you creating a new virtual env at step 1.

3, leverage sys.path.append() to include the package path, here is the test code:

import sys

sitepackage = "D:\home\site\wwwroot\env\Lib\site-packages"
    sys.path.append(sitepackage)

import pandas as pd
    import numpy as np

s = pd.Series([1,3,5,np.nan,6,8])
    print s

Friday, December 4, 2015 7:53 AM