.Net for Windows Store apps vs WPF.

Question

• I wanna choose one of them.

I know about WPF, but i have no idea about the power of .Net Store apps.

What is a value of .Net for Windows Store apps?

I looked at its APIs and saw almost nothing to create GUI.

Can i create GUI or a simple game using it?

Can you show examples of it?

Sunday, April 12, 2015 8:05 AM

Answers

• Net C# and Windows Runtime should be used in the same project?

Yes. Windows Runtime apps use the Windows Runtime API. If you choose to use C# then the Windows Runtime API will project into your app like a .Net class.

Please read the docs I linked earlier.

For vector shapes see Windows.UI.Xaml.Shapes

For raster shapes see Win2D

• Marked as answer by Ziya Ceferov Monday, April 13, 2015 6:16 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 2:52 PM

All replies

• Not sure exactly what you are looking for.   Here are some apis you can use.  This is not a complete list

You can use Unity to create games for the windows store.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/developing-2d-3d-games-with-unity-for-windows-jump-start

You can use monogame

http://www.monogame.net/

Win2D

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/win2d/archive/2014/09/04/introducing-win2d-gpu-accelerated-2d-graphics-programming-in-the-windows-runtime.aspx

Sunday, April 12, 2015 12:56 PM
  • I know all of that and ask a specific question, don't mistake by writing the whole lecture, because the question is more simpler.

Question:

How much is .Net Store app development powerful in compare to WPF?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for. 

I am looking for the possibility to create a simple 3d GUI app in .Net Store app.

My question is simple, i just wanna know about what .Net Store app might do.

At the moment i have no idea what a programmer might create in .Net Store app.

Just imagine there is no any library - you can't create anything.

Or libraries for 2d drawing - good.

Libraries for 3d like in WPF - great.

I hope you got the mean of the question)

Sunday, April 12, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Ziya, your question is confusing and not answerable as stated. Please don't snap at Ken for trying to be helpful.

The .Net for Windows Store apps is not intended to be used stand-alone. It is designed to be used alongside the Windows Runtime, and the UI options are in the Windows Runtime classes and related 3rd party toolkits, not directly in the .Net library.

Start with the Get started and Creating a UI documentation.

The libraries Ken mentioned are all good options for game creation in a .Net Windows Store app. You can also interop with Direct3D, although the D3D side generally requires C++ or a 3rd party interop library such as SharpDx.

Sunday, April 12, 2015 11:12 PM
  • The .Net for Windows Store apps is not intended to be used stand-alone.

That is what i can't understand!

I open .NET for Windows Store apps APIs and see so few types, is it all?

There are no even simple shapes to draw!

Explain me how does it work?

Help me understand how people create Windows Store apps using C#, but not .Net? or what?

?

It is designed to be used alongside the Windows Runtime, and the UI options are in the Windows Runtime classes

.Net C# and Windows Runtime should be used in the same project?

Monday, April 13, 2015 7:28 AM
  • I have spent 3 days, but still can't find an answer for such a simple question - i just need a reference for .NET for Windows Store apps. If i explain something wrong, fix me and help me understand.

I wanna make apps for Windows Store using C# and the only way is to use .Net Framework subset called .Net for Windows Store apps - it is the sole way (if by using C#) - right? I can't use C# for Windows Store apps without .Net for Windows Store apps.

Now i need a reference for .Net Store apps and find .NET for Windows Store apps APIs.

But i don't see where are shapes to draw, for example, Window.UI namespace contains only Color type, but i watch videos where developers draw shapes, how to draw shapes using only a few types like Color?

And here i ask a question:

Is it a complete reference for .NET for Windows Store apps?

Monday, April 13, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Net C# and Windows Runtime should be used in the same project?

Yes. Windows Runtime apps use the Windows Runtime API. If you choose to use C# then the Windows Runtime API will project into your app like a .Net class.

Please read the docs I linked earlier.

For vector shapes see Windows.UI.Xaml.Shapes

For raster shapes see Win2D

• Marked as answer by Ziya Ceferov Monday, April 13, 2015 6:16 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 2:52 PM
  • Great, i used to think i can use only .Net for Windows Runtime apps, but it is made to introp with WinRT - i can use any unmanaged WinRT type by managed C#.

Great!

Monday, April 13, 2015 6:16 PM