SCCM 2012 with Windows 8.1 install trying to enable .Net3.5 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello - I have a Windows 8.1 Embedded Pro install working from SCCM 2012 R2 but I cannot get it to enable the .Net 3.5 feature.  

•  
      • I believe I have the option and parents selected via the autoinstall.xml file (see furthest below) but the feature is not enabled after the install.
      •  

I have tried to use the dism command as specified at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx but this requires the /Source option. Given the install is occurring via SCCM the install media is not present. I tried point the dism command to /Source:C:\Windows\Winsxs\Manifests but that fails as well. 

The installed Win 8.1 client does not have access to the internet so the files must be present to enable .Net3.5 even through using the Windows Add feature\component process.

Short of packaging up the Windows 8.1 source\sxs folder and downloading it via SCCM, is there a solution to enabling .Ne3.5 via SCCM on clients that do not have Internet access? 

I’ve check the “Can't install .NET3.5 on windows 8.1 in any way” thread but did not see a solution to that persons problem. plus they were not using SCCM

Any  help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jim

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">     <servicing>         <package action="configure">             <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-EmbeddedIndustryEdition" version="6.3.9600.16384" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="" />             <selection name="Microsoft-Windows-NetFx4-US-OC-Package" state="true" />             <selection name="Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-WCF-OC-Package" state="true" />             <selection name="Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-OC-Package" state="true" />             <selection name="Microsoft-Windows-NetFx2-OC-Package" state="true" />             <selection name="Microsoft-Windows-NetFx4-WCF-US-OC-Package" state="true" />             <selection name="Microsoft-Windows-NetFx-VCRedist-Package" state="true" />         </package>         <package action="configure">             <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package" version="6.3.9600.16384" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="" />             <selection name="MSMQ-Server" state="true" />             <selection name="MSMQ-Triggers" state="true" />             <selection name="WCF-MSMQ-Activation45" state="true" />             <selection name="MSMQ-Multicast" state="true" />             <selection name="MSMQ-ADIntegration" state="true" />             <selection name="MSMQ-HTTP" state="true" />             <selection name="MSMQ-DCOMProxy" state="true" />             <selection name="MSMQ-Container" state="true" />             <selection name="NetFx3" state="true" />             <selection name="Windows-Defender-Default-Definitions" state="false" />             <selection name="IIS-WebServerRole" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-RequestMonitor" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-WebServer" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-ApplicationDevelopment" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-Security" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-RequestFiltering" state="true" />             <selection name="NetFx4-AdvSrvs" state="true" />             <selection name="NetFx4Extended-ASPNET45" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-NetFxExtensibility45" state="true" />             <selection name="WCF-Services45" state="true" />             <selection name="WAS-WindowsActivationService" state="true" />             <selection name="WAS-ConfigurationAPI" state="true" />             <selection name="WAS-ProcessModel" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-ISAPIExtensions" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-CommonHttpFeatures" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-DefaultDocument" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-DirectoryBrowsing" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-HttpErrors" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-HttpRedirect" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-StaticContent" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-HttpLogging" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-HttpTracing" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-LoggingLibraries" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-Performance" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-HttpCompressionStatic" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-WebServerManagementTools" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility" state="true" />             <selection name="IIS-Metabase" state="true" />         </package>

Jim

• Changed type Jim_FTXS Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hello Jim,

To enable .NET 3.5 on Win 8 without network connection, the source folder SXS is required:

" /Source:"D:\Sources\SXS"

I'm afraid you cannot change to use  /Source:C:\Windows\Winsxs\Manifests

Do you have any specific reason for not choosing "packaging up the Windows 8.1 source\sxs folder and downloading it via SCCM"?

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 5:08 AM
  • Hello Barry,

I am trying to avoid having to package up the sxs folder as it should
    not be necessary. SCCM installing Windows 8.1 with the .net3.5 feature enabled
    via the autoinstall.xml file should do it for me. So I was wondering if there
    is something else that needs to be enabled for SCCM to work or the feature is
    not support or this is a bug in SCCM.<o:p></o:p>

I could package the install media SXS files but that carries the cost of transmitting
    the data (100mg I believe) and time to copy it over so it is saved on the
    system for use by DISM. If a new 8.1 release changes these sxs files, then
    maintaining this workaround process in SCCM becomes more labor some. <o:p></o:p>

Note: There are at least 2 different .Net4.5 install packages (dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe
    and NDP451-KB2858728-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe) Microsoft provides. The dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe requires a network connection to be available for the install to work and the NDP451.. exe is an offline installer. I would think Microsoft would provide the
    same for .net3.5 or there is a way to enable .net3.5 through the SCCM
    installation of Windows 8.1. <o:p></o:p>

Jim

• Edited by Jim_FTXS Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:03 PM
  • @Jim,

Good advice. Actually I've received the same idea before, lots of people feel it will be better for .NET 3.5 has the feature you mentioned. Sometimes they really do not have network environment. I have already submit a report from my side since it is hot. But I believe it will be better if you can choose to also send your feedback here: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

Would you mind to send a report there and share me the link? I can also vote it for you.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Barry Wang Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:28 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:16 PM
  • A suggestion for an off-line .net3.5 that can be used with Windows 8.1 has been posted to: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The link to vote for that suggestion is: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/6484816-please-create-a-net3-5-off-line-install-package-t

Jim

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:53 PM