On screen keyboard. Can we get a number row on the main keyboard alpha view?

Question

• ...perhaps have a setting in the control panel to let the user choose whether to display a number row on the alpha screen of the on screen keyboard... The W7 TIP on my XT has one and that works just fine.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:31 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure if I understand your question.

There is a number key row on the On-Screen Keyboard. Is your issue that you don't want the number row?

If you press the Options key on the bottom of the On-Screen Keyboard, there are settings there that you can make settings changes.
    You can also turn on or off, for a numeric Key pad for the On-Screen Keyboard.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:39 AM
  • If the keyboard is to stay the same can we at least have the number pad ordered correctly. My brain has been trained for years to associate the keys as such.

Correct

But someone decided it should be

Incorrect

My wife's first reaction (not a power user) is oh no that is so wrong. Why did they do that?

I actually didn't even notice but once I did it's bugged me ever since.

BTW, I'm loving the new Windows 8. So Exciting!

Thanks,
    Bobby Cannon
    http://sharpdeck.net
    • Edited by Bobby J Cannon Monday, September 19, 2011 2:01 AM Forgot they're was already a signature.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hello Bobby,

I have installed the Windows Developer Preview 32-bit without the developer tools installed and my version of the On-Screen Keyboard with the numeric keyboard enabled has the number pad ordered correctly.

What version did you install? Just wondering what the difference could be.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hello Bobby,

I found out what is going on with the Touch Keyboard and the number pad being inverted. Your wife was correct and so was I. LOL. It doesn't make a difference if you installed the Windows Developer Preview with or without the developer tools.

There are two “virtual”/”soft”/”on-screen” keyboards in Windows Developer Preview.

The first is the “On-screen Keyboard” also known as “OSK”. This is primarily designed for users who have difficulty using a physical keyboard. The OSK has a few changes in Windows Developers Preview with the addition of some new buttons to aid navigation and so forth. This one has the correct keypad version with the numbers at the top starting with 789.

The second is the "Touch keyboard and Handwriting", formerly known as the "Tablet PC Input Panel" in Windows 7 or "TabTip". This is the default touch keyboard that users will be interacting with in Windows Developer Preview. This is the one with the inverted keypad with the numbers starting with 123..

I suggest you send feedback on this issue.
    Look at the thread below with a post from BillFill from Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:27 PM

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/de1d67d8-bf19-493b-a143-f422e57b1b0f

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Marilyn

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I agree we should have a num row at the top as in a typical qwerty layout.  The options for this keyboard do not give an option to add that at the top.  I only can switch between thumb keyboard and pen input. This is particularly annoying when typing passwords.  I really dislike having to hit the &123 key to switch to the numbers/symbols screen.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:58 PM