none
Error list does not show all errors and warning

Question

• For a reason I cannot explain, my error list does not show all errors and warnings.  Although the drop down filter is set to "Entire Solution", only 3 warnings from the default project are displayed.  I know there are another 3 from another project in the same solution.

Also, when I open a file within a project that contains programming code, more errors and/or warnings can appear.  It is as if I have set the filter to show only errors and warnings from open documents.  But that isn't the case.  The only way to discover all errors is to do a 'rebuild'.  Even that does not cause all warnings to be displayed.  The 3 warnings that are displayed are not from an open file. 

The other drop-down that appears in the error list box is set to "Build + Intellisense'.  Not sure what does.

Does anyone know what setting could be causing this behavior?

Thank You! - Andy

Monday, October 31, 2016 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, could you please share the screenshot of your whole VS windows when the all filters are reset to the default like the following, you can click the ‘Clear All Filters’ icon to clean up all customized filters in the error list windows.

From the above screenshot, we can know the error or warnings in different projects/files under the same solutions can be display in the error list on my local computer.

Please have a try with the following steps to troubleshot this issue:

1. Tools-Import and Export Settings… and select ‘Reset all settings’, then save your current settings, then click ‘Finish’ button to reset the customized setting to the default, it can help us to excludes the customized setting caused this issue.
    2. Close VS and Unload, then reload the solution
    3. Right click the solution name and select ‘Clean Solution’
    4. Close VS and delete the .suo file of your current solution (please backup it firstly) and reopen this solution again

If the above methods not work, please try to create a new solution and add some new projects, then type some error codes or syntax error, see if the Error list windows can show all error or waring or not, it can help us to confirm this issue is only related to your current solutions or not, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 6:43 AM
  • I am having a hard time replying.  It seems that if I include the screen capture, I get an error trying to submit the reply because it says my message can only have between 4 and 6000 characters.

Thank You! - Andy

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:32 PM
  • OK.  I did all that.  Here is what I get at the end when I open the solution:

There are 10 warnings listed, but there should be more.  For example, clsResBuilding is used in more than one project, yet the error only appears once for the default project. Not long ago there would be a warning for both projects. Maybe that is a change in behavior... I don't know.

If I click on a particular warning, the module affected is opened for viewing/editing.  If I then do nothing other than close the view/edit window for the module just opened, all errors related to that module disappear as shown here:

So now It shows 7 warnings but I have fixed none of the original 10.  I only opened and closed one module (in this case clsResBuilding which originally had 3 warnings).

Thank You! - Andy

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thank you for your update.

>>If I click on a particular warning, the module affected is opened for viewing/editing.  If I then do nothing other than close the view/edit window for the module just opened, all errors related to that module disappear as shown here:

I made a test on my local and it looks like I cannot reproduce this issue, if I click one warning and the corresponding file auto open and directly close, the Error list windows have no change.

For this issue, could you please try to create a new solution and add some code with error or warning into different files, then build this solution, check if the Error list windows display correctly or not, it can help us to exclude this issue is relates to your previous solution or not.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 10:08 AM
  • When I last opened the project, it showed no errors or warnings until I did a rebuild.  Does that tell you anything?

Thank You! - Andy

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Hi Andy,

>>When I last opened the project, it showed no errors or warnings until I did a rebuild. 

How did you open the project, open VS and File-Open-Project/Solution? I tried this way on my local, the error message or warning not display under Error list windows until right click the project/solution name-Build/Rebuild. If I have any misunderstand, please let me know.

Meanwhile, could you please do a test with a new solution, check if the Error list windows is work or not, it can help us to confirm this issue is more relates to VS itself or your specific solution that we discussed, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 8:23 AM