OK to install PowerPivot on SQL Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I have several developer machines with SQL Server 2012 installed. One has Excel 2013 and the rest are Office 2013.

We want to explore PowerPivot.  I understand to use the Excel version to select the install package.  However, when running the install (as it happens, on the server with Office 2010), the installer wants to download SQL Server 2012.  I freak out and select "No" to install SQL Server.  Of course, that terminates the PowerPivot installation.

I assume lots of developers have been in this situation, where SQL Server is already installed and PowerPivot wants to do it again - and it probably works out fine.  But I'd like to hear from someone what to expect if I continue with this.  I have had to reinstall SQL Server so many times over the years because some seemingly unrelated install or uninstall hosed a file that I am suprising cautious. 

Thanks for any feedback,
    Scott

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:16 AM

Answers

• But when I run the install again, I notice the full title is "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Excel". 

Hello Scott,

OK, I see what you mean. That's the (new) full name of PowerPivot, because it belongs to the SQL Server technology stack (xVelocity Engine, formerly VertiPac). But the installer will really only install PowerPivot for Excel, nothing more.

See also the download link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074 , there is "SQL Server" also part of the product name.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:30 PM

All replies

• the installer wants to download SQL Server 2012.  I freak out and select "No" to install SQL Server. 

Hello Scott,

I never notice that during installation of PowerPivot the installer want's to download additional installer, especially not SQL Server?

Sure, it's the SQL Server, and not maybe the "Native Client for SQL Server" as a dependency? Could you post the screenshot of it?

PowerPivot is a addin for Excel and there is no direct dependency to (an existing) SQL Server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Olaf,

I think I understand better now after some sleep.  The dialog that spurred this was the UAC prompt (PowerPivot2a.png)

POwerPivot UAC

But when I run the install again, I notice the full title is "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Excel".  I guess the UAC dialog used an abbreviated version (although I would have shortened it to "PowerPivot for Excel" instead!)

POwerPivot install welcome

So, I am going to complete the install (after breakfast) and see what I get.

Thanks,
    Scott

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:10 PM
  • But when I run the install again, I notice the full title is "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Excel". 

Hello Scott,

OK, I see what you mean. That's the (new) full name of PowerPivot, because it belongs to the SQL Server technology stack (xVelocity Engine, formerly VertiPac). But the installer will really only install PowerPivot for Excel, nothing more.

See also the download link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074 , there is "SQL Server" also part of the product name.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:30 PM
  • If you have Excel 2013 you don't need to download or install anything. The download is only required for Excel 2010. In Excel 2013 PowerPivot is pre-installed, but disabled, you just need to go into the add-ins settings in excel and enable it.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:35 AM