none
Object Data Source Exception Handling RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but it's the closest I could find.

I have an object data source on my aspx page that points to a class. The class has public properties which contain validation like the one below.

Code Snippet

Public Property sState() As String

Get

Return m_sState

End Get

Set(ByVal value As String)

If value.Length > 2 Then

Throw New Exception("State cannot be more than 2 characters")

Else

m_sState = value

End If

End Set

End Property

When the user enters a state with more than two characters the exception above is thrown and the user sees a screen like this...

Server Error in '/Williams_Website' Application.

State cannot be more than 2 characters

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: State cannot be more than 2 characters

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

My question is how do I trap the error. I see no option to do this and the examples on MSDN don't cover exception handling as far as I can see.

Thanks

Terry Hutt

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 7:33 PM

All replies

• You can use the folowing events to catch the exception (use the corresponding to each case):

• Selected
    • Inserted
    • Updated
    • Deleted

Example with Selected:

Private Sub ODS_Selected(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs) Handles ODS.Selected
            If e.Exception IsNot Nothing Then
                ' Handle the exception
                ' ...
                e.ExceptionHandled = True
            End If
        End Sub

Daniel

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:36 AM