Writing WPF segment in a Windows Store App RRS feed

• Question

• i want to create "Window- desktop style" that pops up from a metro style app upon some event.

i know that i can't do it in a standard Windows Store app, 
    so i created a windows store project and added the following assemblies:
    PresentationCore.dll
    PresentationFramework.dll
    System.Xaml.dll
    WindowsBase.dll

visual studio is not complaining about any of the desktop tags being used (<Window/> for example).

but the following error came up :
    Unsupported type argument in custom attribute signature. in "App.xaml" file.

what does it mean? and if there is a better way to do what i want to do, please provide some pointers.
    thanks in advance.
    best regards.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:45 AM

Answers

• Windows Store Apps are compiled on a subset (profile) of .NET framework which is referred to as .NET for Windows Store apps you can find these in C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5

Please note the word compiled, that means at the runtime those apps run on full .NET Framework. This is as per design and core principals of WinRT based Apps that other assembles are not allowed to be used in your code. Part of it is because of security model of Apps and rest can be attributed to new Application model, and Broker service.

In Win 8 previews we could somehow do such things and get away with compiling them but most of it would crash on runtime. But not any more as Visual Studio gives that error.

So what that error means is that this is not going to work.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you.

Happy Coding!!!

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:10 AM

All replies

• Windows Store Apps are compiled on a subset (profile) of .NET framework which is referred to as .NET for Windows Store apps you can find these in C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5

Please note the word compiled, that means at the runtime those apps run on full .NET Framework. This is as per design and core principals of WinRT based Apps that other assembles are not allowed to be used in your code. Part of it is because of security model of Apps and rest can be attributed to new Application model, and Broker service.

In Win 8 previews we could somehow do such things and get away with compiling them but most of it would crash on runtime. But not any more as Visual Studio gives that error.

So what that error means is that this is not going to work.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you.

Happy Coding!!!

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hi

I need the PresentationCore.dll in my windows store app. I went thruogh the C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5.  I didn't find   PresentationCore.dll there.

Thanks

Vishnu Aravind

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:26 AM
  • PresentationCore is not available to Windows Store apps. See .NET for Windows Store apps overview for more information about using .Net in Windows Store apps.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Hi Rob

Really i am trying to develop a windows store app for mjpeg streaming( coming from an IP camera from a server). From an article i understood that using MjpegDecoder dll is gud for Mjpg streaming. To a great extend the information is correct. I developed one windows form app as well as one wpf app for mjpg streaming by using this dll and those apps are great success. While coming to windows store app, since the absence of presentationcore.dll swirls my head a lot. MjpegDecoder itself refers this presentationcore.dll.  Can you help me , how to solve this issue. Is there any bulit in mechanism for Mjpg streaming in our windows store app?

Thanks

Vishnu

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi Vishnu,

Please don't post the same question in multiple threads. You already have another thread specifically on this issue.

--Rob

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:10 AM