Possible bug in UI when creating a CDN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am busy preparing for my 70-532 exam and have created a new pay-as-you-go subscription.  The reason that I mention this is because I had to manually register with the "microsoft.insights" service to get metrics and I wanted to make sure there wasn't a similar process needed for CDN. 

I live in Cambridge, so I imagine my IP address says that I am closest to "UK South". Whenever I create a resource it suggests "UK South" as the default option, but I can't find a place to change my default region. I thought it was tied to the subscription but I don't see it in there.

To reproduce the problem:

1. Click "Create a resource"
    2. Search the marketplace for "CDN"
    3. Select CDN by Microsoft
    4. Click "Create" in the info blade
    5. Enter details as shown in screenshot
    6. Press "Create"

Note:  The problem also occurs if I choose not to make an endpoint now.

Expected:

Form validates and process continues

Actual:

Form fails to validate.

If you click the message to view details the message is: The provided location 'uksouth' is not available for resource type 'Microsoft.Cdn/profiles'. List of available regions for the resource type is 'australiaeast,australiasoutheast,brazilsouth,canadacentral,canadaeast,centralindia,centralus,eastasia,eastus,eastus2,japaneast,japanwest,northcentralus,northeurope,southcentralus,southindia,southeastasia,westeurope,westindia,westus,westcentralus'. (Code: LocationNotAvailableForResourceType)

But, the resource group location form control is locked. This is perfectly logical because CDN is a global resource (like the tooltip says).

I think this is a bug and thought I'd let you know. I can't find a workaround (yet) because I haven't found where to change that default location. I do have a VPN at home but haven't yet tried changing the IP where I connect to the portal from.

Thanks,

Andy

• Edited by Andrew Beak Thursday, July 26, 2018 7:51 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It's actually the resource group that is in the "UK South".  Choosing a resource group that is based elsewhere works.

I think this is not a bug, just my misunderstanding the tooltip and documentation.  The tooltip suggests that the service is global and the resource group location is just for metadata.   The web documentation says Azure Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a global CDN solution for delivering high-bandwidth content. It can be hosted in Azure or any other location.

It's not immediately clear that the metadata needs to be hosted in a region that supports it, but I can see now that this is the cause of the problem I'm encountering

~a

Thursday, July 26, 2018 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It's actually the resource group that is in the "UK South".  Choosing a resource group that is based elsewhere works.

I think this is not a bug, just my misunderstanding the tooltip and documentation.  The tooltip suggests that the service is global and the resource group location is just for metadata.   The web documentation says Azure Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a global CDN solution for delivering high-bandwidth content. It can be hosted in Azure or any other location.

It's not immediately clear that the metadata needs to be hosted in a region that supports it, but I can see now that this is the cause of the problem I'm encountering

~a

Thursday, July 26, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. We are following up on ways to improve this experience. 
    Friday, July 27, 2018 12:23 AM
  • This thread helped me solve the same problem a year later.  I was unable to determine what region an existing resource group is in after I create it.  Am I missing this?  I had to tear down the whole resource group and start over, being careful about using a region suitable for metadata. I never would have figured this out just from the portal.
    Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:12 AM
  • Hi Andrew, 

Thank you for posting the solution which already started helping members of our community. I marked your response as answered so it will be helpful for members who are looking for similar issues. 

Regards, 

Msrini

Sunday, July 28, 2019 8:18 AM