none
Legacy DTS packages RRS feed

• Question

• How can I scheudule a legacy DTS 2000 package if it stored in SQL Server itself?

I assume the package 'lives' in the msdb database.

For what bizarre reason is there no option to schedule legacy packages anyway, why provide the DTS legacy/designer components if the ability to schedule them isn't possible?

Is this microsoft's subtle way of telling me that I should convert them to SSIS packages ...I just don't have the time to do that...help

Thanks

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 2:21 PM

Answers

• You can run your old dts packages using dtsrun as you did earlier. If you upgraded your server, your old jobs which were running your dts packages will continue to run. This is because the dts runtime environment continues to work. You can also use "Execute DTS 2000 Package Task" in the SSIS designer to execute your old packages. If you need to make changes to your old legacy package, that's when you need the legacy/designer components.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2006 2:38 PM
  • the help for dtsrun shows the following usage options: In your case, you could use something like:

dtsrun /S servername /E /N packageName

Try to use dtsrun from the command line directly, and then use the same to schedule it as a job.

Usage:  dtsrun /option [value] [/option [value]] ...
    Options ('/?' shows this screen; '-' May be substituted for '/'):

Package retrieval:
        /~S Server Name
        /~U User Name
        /~P Password
        /E <Use trusted connection instead of /U /P>
        /~N Package Name
        /~M Package Password
        /~G Package Guid String
        /~V Package Version Guid String
        /~F Structured Storage UNC filename (overwritten if /S also specified)
        /~R Repository Database Name <uses default if blank; loads package from repository database>

Package operation (overrides stored Package settings):
        /~A Global Variable Name:typeid=Value <may quote entire string (including name:typeid)>
        /~L Log file name
        /~W Write Completion Status to Windows Event Log <True or False>

DTSRun action (default is to execute Package):
        /!X <Do not execute; retrieves Package to /F filename>
        /!D <Do not execute; drop package from SQL Server (cannot drop from Storage File)>
        /!Y <Do not execute; output encrypted command line>
        /!C <Copies command line to Windows clipboard (may be used with /!Y and /!X)>

Notes:
        ~ is optional; if present, the parameter is hex text of encrypted value (0x313233...)
        Whitespace between command switch and value is optional
        Embedded whitespace in values must be embedded in double-quotes
        If an option is specified multiple times, the last one wins (except multiple /A)

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 3:31 PM

All replies

• You can run your old dts packages using dtsrun as you did earlier. If you upgraded your server, your old jobs which were running your dts packages will continue to run. This is because the dts runtime environment continues to work. You can also use "Execute DTS 2000 Package Task" in the SSIS designer to execute your old packages. If you need to make changes to your old legacy package, that's when you need the legacy/designer components.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2006 2:38 PM
  • Thanks for the swift reply

So, if my package it called test and it lives in msdb how what do I need to put in at the command line?

I never directly used dtsrun in SQL2000, I scheduled the packages from the designer which created the jobs for me.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 2:50 PM
  • the help for dtsrun shows the following usage options: In your case, you could use something like:

dtsrun /S servername /E /N packageName

Try to use dtsrun from the command line directly, and then use the same to schedule it as a job.

Usage:  dtsrun /option [value] [/option [value]] ...
    Options ('/?' shows this screen; '-' May be substituted for '/'):

Package retrieval:
        /~S Server Name
        /~U User Name
        /~P Password
        /E <Use trusted connection instead of /U /P>
        /~N Package Name
        /~M Package Password
        /~G Package Guid String
        /~V Package Version Guid String
        /~F Structured Storage UNC filename (overwritten if /S also specified)
        /~R Repository Database Name <uses default if blank; loads package from repository database>

Package operation (overrides stored Package settings):
        /~A Global Variable Name:typeid=Value <may quote entire string (including name:typeid)>
        /~L Log file name
        /~W Write Completion Status to Windows Event Log <True or False>

DTSRun action (default is to execute Package):
        /!X <Do not execute; retrieves Package to /F filename>
        /!D <Do not execute; drop package from SQL Server (cannot drop from Storage File)>
        /!Y <Do not execute; output encrypted command line>
        /!C <Copies command line to Windows clipboard (may be used with /!Y and /!X)>

Notes:
        ~ is optional; if present, the parameter is hex text of encrypted value (0x313233...)
        Whitespace between command switch and value is optional
        Embedded whitespace in values must be embedded in double-quotes
        If an option is specified multiple times, the last one wins (except multiple /A)

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 3:31 PM