Developing WP8.1 Apps on Win10TP Possible???

Question

• Is is possible to use the Windows 10 Tech Preview to develop apps for Win8.1 and WP8.1 in addition to Windows 10 apps if i install the Windows 8.1 SDK and the Windows 10 SDK preview?

I want to upgrade my Win8.1 Pro to Win10TP but i have apps in the store that i am currently maintaining that run on Win8.1 and WP8.1.

Thank you all

Rafael

• Edited by RafaelY Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:27 AM

Answers

• The VS2015 CTP6 contains the WP8.1 SDK. Win 8.1 Apps also run on Windows 10 TP. However I've seen quite a few reports where behavior of the Win 10 TP differs from Win 8.1.

So technically you could upgrade it and use that to develop Apps targeting the older OSes. Given the sometimes different behavior however I would advice against it as you can't be sure that what works in your Dev environment would work on Win 8.1 devices and the other way round.

The best way to solve this issue might be to install the Win 10 TP in a Hyper-V VM and do your testing for Win 10 Dev there.

When Win10 has it's final release the behavior should be reasonably similar to make it a viable approach. Going by the communication so far however it seems that compatibility testing and fixing for Win10 has not yet been done.

• Marked as answer by RafaelY Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:41 AM
  • yes you can develop apps for windows 8 and windows phone 8.1 on Win10.. However, it is still technical preview, you might hit some bug on VS or the OS itself here and there.

Can Bilgin
    Blog Samples CompuSight

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:37 PM

All replies

• The VS2015 CTP6 contains the WP8.1 SDK. Win 8.1 Apps also run on Windows 10 TP. However I've seen quite a few reports where behavior of the Win 10 TP differs from Win 8.1.

So technically you could upgrade it and use that to develop Apps targeting the older OSes. Given the sometimes different behavior however I would advice against it as you can't be sure that what works in your Dev environment would work on Win 8.1 devices and the other way round.

The best way to solve this issue might be to install the Win 10 TP in a Hyper-V VM and do your testing for Win 10 Dev there.

When Win10 has it's final release the behavior should be reasonably similar to make it a viable approach. Going by the communication so far however it seems that compatibility testing and fixing for Win10 has not yet been done.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:41 AM

Hello there, thank you for your reply
    I would like to read some of those reports you mentioned to see if it can affect my work.

thank you

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Unfortunately I have no list available on them. I just saw several such reports of misbehavior show up here on the forums from time to time. Simply put: there is no list of differing behaviors, anything might or might not act the way it's supposed to given that the Windows 10 is quite some time from release so lots of stuff can still change.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:51 AM
  • Unfortunately I have no list available on them. I just saw several such reports of misbehavior show up here on the forums from time to time. Simply put: there is no list of differing behaviors, anything might or might not act the way it's supposed to given that the Windows 10 is quite some time from release so lots of stuff can still change.

Just to make it clear for me, I can use a machine with Win10TP to develop for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1? And the VS2015CTP will let me create new Windows 8 and WP8.1 apps?

Thank you

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:40 AM
  • yes you can develop apps for windows 8 and windows phone 8.1 on Win10.. However, it is still technical preview, you might hit some bug on VS or the OS itself here and there.

Can Bilgin
    Blog Samples CompuSight

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 5:37 PM