Newbie question - create user with perms to create db on SQL Server 2012 Express RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed SQL Server Management Studio 2012 Express addition.  The only login available is <mycomputer>\SQLEXPRESS.  When I log into SQL Server I can't do anything.  I can't create a db or create an admin account or anything worth doing.  I've seen from searching that I need to login with an account with permissions.

So, SQL Server creates two accounts BUILTIN\Users and 'sa'.  Trying to log in as either is fruitless and I can't change server roles because I don't have permissions.

OK, I'm a newbie.  How can I log in with an account that lets me create a database and create users?

thanks, Paul

Friday, March 1, 2013 7:52 PM

Answers

• When you installed SQL Server, you should have been asked to add an account as administrator, preferrably your own. With the caveat that I don't run the Express install that often; it may be on the "Advanced" section. Then again, I would execpt to add you without asking.

And if you are logged in as sa, you absolutely have all powers in the world. Well, as least all powers in the instance.

What happens if you say "CREATE DATABASE mydb"?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, March 1, 2013 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Paul,

If you have administrative previallages on your  box where you sql installed, you can do it.  You can either create new login that has sysadmin previalges and can then reset the password of SA after logging to SSMS  or can drop the SA login and recreate it right there...this document should help you out ...http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj853293.aspx

Hope it Helps!!

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:12 PM
  • When you installed SQL Server, you should have been asked to add an account as administrator, preferrably your own. With the caveat that I don't run the Express install that often; it may be on the "Advanced" section. Then again, I would execpt to add you without asking.

And if you are logged in as sa, you absolutely have all powers in the world. Well, as least all powers in the instance.

What happens if you say "CREATE DATABASE mydb"?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, March 1, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Start with this short tutorial in the SQL Server documentatoin, written with your situation in mind Tutorial: Getting Started with the Database Engine

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:37 PM