Greenfield ASP.NET Core project: why choose Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• User-153486518 posted

Hi forum,

I've been hearing a whole heck of a lot about ASP.NET Core lately. Various forum posts and MSFT documentation (especially pages like this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/choosing-core-framework-server) indicate that ASP.NET Core is the preferred platform for brand new services. However, if ASP.NET Core is intended to reach feature parity w.r.t. ASP.NET on Full Framework, even when run on Linux...why would anyone choose to run it on Windows Server? I know that AD/Kerberos support for websites is typically better on IIS as opposed to Apache or NGINX, but if you're not trying to build an internal only website, that's not much of a concern. Also, it seems the intent is for Powershell to run on .NET Core just as well as on Framework, so you're not just stuck with bash either.

I'm a Windows guy, and have been for a long time. That notwithstanding, it is hard for me to see what future Windows Server has as an application platform, unless you count using Linux or FreeBSD images on Hyper-V (which is, in fact, pretty awesome) or Docker.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 6:55 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

I'm a Windows guy, and have been for a long time. That notwithstanding, it is hard for me to see what future Windows Server has as an application platform, unless you count using Linux or FreeBSD images on Hyper-V (which is, in fact, pretty awesome) or Docker.

Do you think Windows server is going away? How many years have they been saying that Windows in general was going to be supplanted by Linux or even Apple?  For the last 20 or more years or so that the Windows O/S  was going away? It has not happened,  and it's not going to happen not in your life time, just like the IBM iron-horse mainframes are still out there processing and have not gone away.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:22 PM
  • User-153486518 posted

I agree Windows Server the product is unlikely to go away (to say nothing of Windows the client OS), since it seems to be a premier choice for directory and on prem email servers, and a lot of companies will continue to use it for SharePoint and as a virtualization platform. Plus, it has SMB, which is way better than NFS. But all of that is independent from a platform for third party web services. It looks like we are heading toward a future where you have a couple dozen WS instances for email, directory, file, and maybe a few older or internal only services from vendors, but all the stuff you develop runs directly on Linux, or if not, Hyper-V running Linux VMs. Again, what can ASP.NET Core on Windows do that is worth paying the license fee for over Linux?

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:39 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

An admin forum could be better but when looking at latest changes it seems true that MS doesn't care much any more about which "Operating System" is running your application.

Instead it seems to me they are precisely moving Windows Server one (or maybe even two) level up ie it's no more about managing underlying hardware (possibly virtualized) but rather to run any workload anywhere and an top of your software defined infrastructure (ie the "cloud OS" they talked about once).

Exactly as you are using your favorite OS and forget about the Hypervisor that runs them behind the scene, we may end up in not thinking much as we do now about which OS is actually running your app and you'll mainly see the "cloud OS" which allows to run those workload. You'll basically run your app as you are doing now for "calc.exe".

See for example https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/20/windows-server-2019-will-feature-linux-and-kubernetes-support/

IMHO the future is bright ;-)

Edit: or also from the SQL Server team : https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2017/07/17/sql-server-2017-containers-for-devops-scenarios/

Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:15 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

Again, what can ASP.NET Core on Windows do that is worth paying the license fee for over Linux?

Customer service  and holding someone, some entity or some company accountable. I as a home user client or when working with a company as a contractor can/could  always get on the phone with MS about issues I have faced with the Windows O/S over the years,. Like about a year ago I was on the phone with MS for a week directly with Windows 10 customer support and also a couple other things and MS customer support took care of my needs, becuase I have paid for support.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:38 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

Exactly as you are using your favorite OS and forget about the Hypervisor that runs them behind the scene, we may end up in not thinking much as we do now about which OS is actually running your app and you'll mainly see the "cloud OS" which allows to run those workload. You'll basically run your app as you are doing now for "calc.exe".

It's just something else to be hacked to death and compromised, just like you don't see the reports on Linux Web servers being hacked to death and compromised, Windows Web servers being hacked to death and compromised, Mac 10 O/S Web servers being hacked to death and compromised.

All you see being reported are the major breaches, as the rest is swept under the rug with no need to alarm the clients/customers about poor security implemented and that the O/S(s) are swiss cheese. :)

https://www.identityforce.com/blog/2018-data-breaches

The cloud O/S? It is just meat on the table. :)

Thursday, June 7, 2018 10:09 PM