none
Unable to install SP3 for SQL Server 2012

Question

• We've a set of Azure SQL Server 2012 R2 Datacenter 64-bit edition VMs in cluster already with SP2 (KB2958429). However, while trying to install SP3 (KB3072779), the installation wizard standstill during stopping of MSSQLSERVER services and closes, from Setup Bootstrap Logs, here is the error information:

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  The patch installer has failed to update the following instance: MSSQLSERVER. To determine the reason for failure, review the log files.
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2068709375
      Start time:                    2016-12-08 11:36:48
      End time:                      2016-12-08 11:40:05
      Requested action:              Patch

Instance MSSQLSERVER overall summary:
      Final result:                  The patch installer has failed to update the shared features. To determine the reason for failure, review the log files.
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2068709375
      Exit facility code:            1202
      Exit error code:               1
      Exit message:                  The NT service 'MSSQLSERVER' could not be stopped.
      Start time:                    2016-12-08 11:37:56
      End time:                      2016-12-08 11:40:02
      Requested action:              Patch

And here is the error information available from Detail.txt from this location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20161208_113558

(01) 2016-12-08 11:37:56 Slp: The following NT service was in a running state prior to patch action: ReportServer
    (01) 2016-12-08 11:37:56 Slp: Attempting to run patch request for instance: MSSQLSERVER
    (01) 2016-12-08 11:40:04 Slp: Error: Failed to run patch request for instance: MSSQLSERVER (exit code: -2068709375)

Thursday, December 8, 2016 12:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Venkata,

It is very pleasant to hear that you have get the method to install Service Pack3, according to your description, after installing all the important and optional updates, it runs normally. 

Yes, sometimes we will meet error if the Operation System has some important patch not installed, however we always meet error before the installation instead of in the installation process. Besides, this did not affect the installation on the machine not inside the cluster, I think this patch of Operation System may related with Cluster.

If you are satisfied with my help, could you please mark our replies as 'Answered', this can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Venkata Suman Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:43 AM

All replies

• Can you try to stop the service  ? Does it throw the error?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, December 8, 2016 12:14 PM
  • I've stopped the service 'ReportServer' and tried the installation, now it just says the service is in stopped but failed with same error code, here is the log:

(01) 2016-12-08 12:22:23 Slp: The following NT service was in a stopped state prior to patch action: ReportServer
    (01) 2016-12-08 12:22:23 Slp: Attempting to run patch request for instance: MSSQLSERVER
    (01) 2016-12-08 12:24:31 Slp: Error: Failed to run patch request for instance: MSSQLSERVER (exit code: -2068709375)

Thursday, December 8, 2016 12:28 PM
  • Hi Venkata,

According to your description, you set SQL Server 2012 R2 on the VMs of Azure, then we will need to connect to the Server from a terminal client.

You met the error message 'The following NT service was in a running state prior to patch action: ReportServer' and 'The following NT service was in a stopped state prior to patch action: ReportServer' when the service is in running and stopped state, based on my experience, the state of service will not affect applying the patch. In many scenarios, this issue can be caused by the permission.

Could you please tell us which account did you use to install this patch? Did it have the administrator rights on the server on Azure? If it is not, please grant the administrator rights to this account.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 9, 2016 3:21 AM
  • Yes Teige, the account with which SP3 is being installed is indeed a domain admin account, and we are seeing the issue only on SQL nodes which are in Cluster, but the installation was successful on other SQL nodes which are not part of the cluster.
    Friday, December 9, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Hi Venkata, 

Could you please share the full error message to us for analysis? You can get it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log, you can share it with Onedrive or other network disk.

According to your description 'the installation was successful on other SQL nodes which are not part of the cluster', which account did you use to install these SQL Server, is it domain admin account? If it is not, you can try to use Local Administrator to install the patch in the cluster and run the installation media as Administrator.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 9, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Here is the OneDrive share link for the logs.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsdylHVYYl6QkEbGnJHoXmIKuxya

Coming to your question, yes, the account indeed was an domain administrator which was used to install SP3 successfully on other SQL nodes.

Friday, December 9, 2016 9:13 AM
  • Hello Folks,

Any update on this issue would be highly appreciated.

BTW, just to reiterate, I am seeing this installation issue only the SQL nodes in cluster (AlwaysOn), however the standalone SQL nodes doesn't have any issues.

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Hi Venkata,

I am still reading the error message and doing some research.

As mentioned from you 'I am seeing this installation issue only the SQL nodes in cluster (AlwaysOn), however the standalone SQL nodes doesn't have any issues', in many scenario, this is related to the permission, according to your description 'the account with which SP3 is being installed is indeed a domain admin account', could you please check if this account inside the group of local administrator? Besides, you can also try to use local administrator to install this patch.

I will research this issue as soon as possible, if I have some process, I will let you know. Please try to use local administrator or add the domain account to local admin group, Thank you!

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Thanks Teige, glad to know you're looking in to this issue.

As you said, I'll give it a try and let you know the results shortly.

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:22 AM
  • Hi Tiege,

I've verified again and confirm the account indeed was inside the local administrator group on the machine, and just tried to install SP3 again, but ended-up with same behavior.

Monday, December 12, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Tiege,

Just as an update, attempted to install SP3 using local administrator (not the domain administrator account this time), but still seeing same behavior as well..

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Hi Venkata,

After reading your error message, I think this issue can be caused by that the file SQSRVRES.DLL was occupied by some process. Could you please go to the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<instance_name>\MSSQL\Binn to find if this file was occupied or locked? You can also check other .dll file related to SQL Server Report.

Besides, did you reboot the operation system before installing this patch? Could you please share the detail error message which you install this patch with local admin? I think the failure of installation with local admin can be caused by other reason.

In addition, you can refer to this article : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25958.the-patch-installer-has-failed-to-update-the-shared-features-to-determine-the-reason-for-failure-review-the-log-files.aspx this article concludes many scenarios for this issue.

Apologise for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Thanks Teige for the update, will check and let you know my findings.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hi Teige,

Somehow, I'm managed to install SP3 on the machines by installing all the important and optional updates (except SQL Server 2012 SP3) via Windows update, and once they are successfully installed, rebooted and then initiated SP3 installation available via Windows update.

Thanks,
    Venkata Suman.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:17 AM
  • Hi Venkata,

It is very pleasant to hear that you have get the method to install Service Pack3, according to your description, after installing all the important and optional updates, it runs normally. 

Yes, sometimes we will meet error if the Operation System has some important patch not installed, however we always meet error before the installation instead of in the installation process. Besides, this did not affect the installation on the machine not inside the cluster, I think this patch of Operation System may related with Cluster.

If you are satisfied with my help, could you please mark our replies as 'Answered', this can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Venkata Suman Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:43 AM
  • Yes Teige, indeed you're the best and prompt help that I got from this forum.

Marked this thread a Answered.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:16 AM
  • Hi Venkata,

It's very pleasant to help you. Next time if you have any other question, please let me know, I will try to give you answer.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:50 AM