none
Converting access to VB.NET or C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A friend and I are currently in the process of converting an access database to something a little more powerful. At the moment, we are converting the backend to MSSQL (using a tool we bought from somewhere on the internet - the upsizing tool was only working for 20% or so of it).

After this is complete, we will then need to get the frontend into something a little more appropriate - either VB.NET or C#. I have a few questions regarding this:
    - Is it realistic to expect a tool to do this for us? I have seen a number advertised on the internet, and am unsure if they are useful at all.
    - If it is possible/realistic, what is a good one?
    - What should we be trying to convert it to? VB.NET or C#? Is one more reliable then the other?

I think thats about it for now. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you want to upscale Access consider moving the tables to SQL Server and keeping the Access front end. Access has a built in tool to help you move the tables. This works well for databases which have many users or the data out grows Access (over 1gb access is rather slow and cannot exceed 2gb)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:23 AM
  • Thanks - We are already converting the backend to SQL (The upsize didnt really work - we bought a tool to help with this,which seems to be getting us there).

We are now trying to work out how to move the frontend to something a little better (Our database is starting to outgrow an access backend and frontend).
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

Just wnated to find out what method you used for your frontend.... I am currently attempting to do tha same and are having some difficulties..

Thanks

Ronald

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:57 AM
  • We arnt going to try to convert the database now. We are just going to re-write it, both the backend (manually creating SQL tables/fields in a similar structure as the access database) and the frontend (in C#, with the aid of code generation tools).

This is going to be a very time consuming project (I expect 6 months +), but as we hope to turn this into a commerical product, it is worth the effort we beleive.

Our attempts to convert the backend to SQL (while leaving the frontend in Access) have proved unsuccessful - some of the tables convert, some dont.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:04 AM
  • I have converted the table of an access database to sql before and what I found is that in the cases where the upsizing tool would not work or have errors the best thing was to delete all the data first and the relationships. then you can import fromwhithin sql all your tables. Since you are going to write a new application either in vb or c# the relationships do not matter very much. In any case you can allways create new relationships from within sql.  Hope this helps.

romasan Microsoft Partner

I have not received your email
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:30 AM