Uploading dll to blob/storage and using import method RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

It's my first time asking here.

I have recently added a very large (16MB) external dll file which i use with "Add Reference".

The issue is that it takes me 20 minutes longer to upload my application

I want to know if it's possible to upload one time my external dll to my subscription blob/storage and calling the method i need to Import attribute (or a different way i don't know about) in order to remove the dll to be directly in my application and saving some upload time.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by batzeki Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:07 AM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:39 AM

Answers

• One approach I can think of is following:

1. Upload the external DDL to your blob storage

2. Use a startup task (and Windows Azure bootstrapper) to download it from the blob storage and put it into your app root folder.

There will be small challenge if you are using WebRole. Because then you will have to have this assembly into your sitesroot\0\BIN. But you can just download it to a local storage reosurce (using the bootstrapper) and add it to the GAC. Having your referecend assembly into the GAC shall be OK for all your code. One thing to remember though - remove the "Copy Local" => "True" flag for this reference. Set it back to "False" in order to stop this reference of being copied with the package.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:35 PM

All replies

• I think you have to download the whole assembly, but you can update project much faster after deployment
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:07 AM
  • One approach I can think of is following:

1. Upload the external DDL to your blob storage

2. Use a startup task (and Windows Azure bootstrapper) to download it from the blob storage and put it into your app root folder.

There will be small challenge if you are using WebRole. Because then you will have to have this assembly into your sitesroot\0\BIN. But you can just download it to a local storage reosurce (using the bootstrapper) and add it to the GAC. Having your referecend assembly into the GAC shall be OK for all your code. One thing to remember though - remove the "Copy Local" => "True" flag for this reference. Set it back to "False" in order to stop this reference of being copied with the package.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hello:

I have published a web role in Azure web role that runs a web application that uses dll's business logic.
    When we make a change in the business logic and recompile the project business logic dll generate a new version of the dll of logic.
    For web application that takes the new dll I have two options:
    1) connect to the terminal server by web role and manually change the dll in the bin folder.
    2) Make a redeploy with the new dll.

Option 1 does not work because the web role is not persistent and reboot again to be the old dll
    Option 2 is not practical since I do not want to do a redeploy an application each time you change a dll

My idea is to put the dll's in a blob storage and the web application that can be freely downloaded from there.
    The above explanation apparently solves this issue, but does not explain how.
    Any idea how to do this?.

Greetings.

Jose Adrien

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:37 PM