CarouselView 2.3.0-pre2 RRS feed

• Question

• User173875 posted

Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView

News

CarouselView is now open source: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView

2.3.0-pre2

bugs fixed

• 41463 - "CarouselView Crashes with "Sequence Does not Contain a Matching Element'"
    • 40513 - "Adding views to CarouselView after rendered and swiping crashes Forms"

Other fixes

Reduced assemblies referenced per platform project from three to one so
    that now each platform gets its own version of Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView
    into which the portable library has been merged.

For example, Android used to referenced:
      Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView
      Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.Platform
      Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.Android

But now only references:
      Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView (android specific)

2.3.0-pre1

Nuget package

Notes

Creating this thread to collect all CarouselView feedback until it is merged back into the Xamarin.Forms package. James Montemagno put together a post on CarouselView here

Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:17 PM

All replies

• User181025 posted

I think it would be great to see it open-sourced even before it's merged into XF. :)

This was my feedback on the other thread:

When you create a carousel of listviews, listview scrolling seems messed up. Any slight right/left swipe will cancel listview scroll. I think there should be a way to set swipe tolerance so carouselview does not wake up.

Also, if you stop swiping the carousel between two positions, it will crash the app.

Finally, the carousel doesn't seem to snap back into the original position if you don't swipe long enough.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:30 PM
  • User149286 posted

I found two things I consider bugs with CarouselView.

1) Let's say we have two items in the carousel view and we are on the second view. On iOS, if we rotate the device the carousel view will show the first item. For Android, its consistent and stays on the second item.

2) Sometimes on Android, I get a "Sequence contains more than one element" which switching between two views that have list views inside them. In the example project attached, give a scrolling and swiping motion at the same time(might take a few tries).

Friday, June 17, 2016 3:27 AM
  • User234656 posted

I also get the "Sequence contains more than one element" (System.InvalidOperationException) on Android; it seems to be rather consistent…

Like AndyBarajas I have two items in the CarouselView, and they both contain a ListView.

The call stack is:

System.Linq.Enumerable.Single /Users/builder/data/lanes/2923/52635947/source/mono/external/referencesource/System.Core/System/Linq/Enumerable.cs:1050,13 Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer.b_82 Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer.OnScrollListener.OnScrollStateChanged Android.Support.V7.Widget.RecyclerView.OnScrollListener.nOnScrollStateChangedLandroidsupportv7widgetRecyclerView_I

Friday, June 17, 2016 2:56 PM
  • User229467 posted

Same here.

CarouselView seems to be pretty buggy on Android.

I've tried on Genymotion (API 18/19/21/23/...) with XF 2.2, 2.3-pre or 2.3 stable.

There´s already an open ticket for this bug in the Bugzilla. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41463

Friday, June 17, 2016 6:54 PM
  • User6601 posted

I'm seeing the same issue on XF 2.3 with this bug - getting the same crash with "Sequence Contains More than one Elements" on Android

System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[TSource] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x0008e] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/2923/52635947/source/mono/external/referencesource/System.Core/System/Linq/Enumerable.cs:1050 at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer.b82 () [0x00011] in :0 at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer+OnScrollListener.OnScrollStateChanged (Android.Support.V7.Widget.RecyclerView recyclerView, Int32 newState) [0x0003d] in :0 at Android.Support.V7.Widget.RecyclerView+OnScrollListener.nOnScrollStateChangedLandroidsupportv7widgetRecyclerViewI (IntPtr jnienv, IntPtr nativethis, IntPtr native_recyclerView, Int32 newState) [0x00011] in :0 at at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:c87531d3-2e54-404e-8172-adbf6c7fa16f (intptr,intptr,intptr,int)

Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:58 PM
  • User174034 posted

It would be nice if it was possible to see a little of the one of the other ones. Something like this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37474552/react-native-card-carousel-view Also would be nice with possibilities for animations. Like a scaling effect on the carousel while moving it.

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:32 AM
  • User230529 posted

[Following CarouselView instruction for UWP](xamarin-forms-carouselview setup for Windows (by James Montemagno June 15, 2016)/)

I managed to see the expected result with UWP with local Window 10 desktop. However, when I deploy that to a Windows 10 Mobile device, the image hosted in the CaraouselView disappear.

Monday, June 20, 2016 4:19 PM
  • User174034 posted

A litte bit funny that the picture on the blog shows what I want, but it does not seem to work like this:

Is this possible to achieve, or is it single page only?

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:36 PM
  • User10329 posted

Cool demo of CarouselView with "pseudo" sliding tabs strip at top and toolbar at bottom.:

I had an old MvvmCross application for Android and iOS that used UIPageViewController for iOS and ViewPager for Android. It had a toolbar at the bottom with Back/Next buttons where the visibility of the Back/Next buttons were determined by what page the user was looking at. For example, while looking at the first page, the Back button should be invisible.

Also, for Android, I used the SlidingTabStrip control to show the names of each page and highlight the current page being viewed. The user could then scroll the tabs and select any page and that page would become the current page. The SlidingTabStrip control would stay in sync with the pages as the user would swipe through them.

Anyway, I was able to reproduce this functionality in XF using the new CarouselView and thought everybody might want to take a look.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:35 PM
  • User10329 posted

See demo gif

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:56 PM
  • User2148 posted

Well done @ShawnCastrianni.5092 . Is it possible to skip the animation when you push one button?

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:15 PM
  • User10329 posted

I am not sure. The next and back buttons simple just increment or decrement the Position property of the CarouselView. The CarouselView is handling the animation. I didn't see a SetPosition(int position,bool isAnimated) type of method which would allow me to change the position but say NOT to do the animation.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:19 PM
  • User67129 posted

@ShawnCastrianni.5092 In an ideal world using Mvvm we would just be binding to the SelectedItem property and changing that would go to that page. so wouldnt have access to SetPosition. So keeping that in mind I think the CarouselView needs a bindable DoesAnimate property

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:36 AM
  • User168705 posted

It's possible use CarouselView without Binding ItemsSource? I just need 2 Items (Pages)?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:59 PM
  • User2148 posted

I think you can but I haven't my Mac in front of me

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:50 PM
  • User2148 posted

mmmm maybe no

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:46 PM
  • User181025 posted

@ShawnCastrianni.5092 When I go from red page to yellow page, the carousel shows all the other pages in between. Do you know if it's possible to see only the yellow page slide in when the yellow button is tapped? In other words, only the page to be shown to the user should slide.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:52 PM
  • User106315 posted

Very much freezes on real iPhone (4s - we support it too), when you go to next page or back twice (Index = Index - 2). As I understand only previous page is cached, so next page is rendered (calculated) in runtime - if I'm not mistaken, it is simply replaces DataContext of current page.

Mb you create 3 pages under the hood(Previous - Current - Next pages )?

P.S. if you change current page with Carousel View.Position property (previous-- or next++) it's looks like we just changed DataContext on page (rerendering page without left or right moving).

P.S. We use ListView in our CarouselView content.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:16 AM
  • User106315 posted

And one question more (may be therein lies the problem).

Is there a difference between Release and AppStore build on real iPhone by performance?

Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:18 AM
  • User10329 posted

@AdrianKnight Not that I know of. CarouselView would probably have to expose a way to set the position without animating or something else to support that.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:39 PM
  • User181025 posted

@AdrianKnight said: @ShawnCastrianni.5092 When I go from red page to yellow page, the carousel shows all the other pages in between. Do you know if it's possible to see only the yellow page slide in when the yellow button is tapped? In other words, only the page to be shown to the user should slide.

@BryanHunterXam It'd be great to have the above feature as well or just make it easy to implement such a feature. I saw this on Google+, and it was pretty neat.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:39 PM
  • User229643 posted

Hi everyone, is there a way to show pages with the new carouselview? specifically i not only would like to see the circles indicating pages below the current item, but also a portion of the previous and next page items.. Thanks!

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:54 PM
  • User2148 posted

@bytebuilder No. There is only a this for indicators

https://xamarinhelp.com/carousel-view-page-indicators/

Friday, June 24, 2016 4:26 PM
  • User10329 posted

Obviously, I am biased, but I prefer my sliding tabs demo above to show which page I am on. It allows the user to jump to a specific page by name. But I can see use cases for both. I would use @AlessandroCaliaro dots for something like a tutorial screen.

Friday, June 24, 2016 4:30 PM
  • User179286 posted

I just mad my first experiments with CarouselView and encountered an Exception on the Simulator that said more the one Element in Collection Linq.Single any of you encountered this too? Also On the simulator I could swipe more than one page at once. This does not happen on the phone.

Monday, June 27, 2016 5:09 PM
  • User33994 posted

I am doing some testing in release mode and have a blank white page when I turn on SDK linking, debug and release modes seem to work great if you don't link, but in release mode i generally use SDK linking. Anyone else seen this? Have a workaround other than don't use linking?

Monday, June 27, 2016 6:27 PM
  • User171749 posted

@LesterMeeks said: I am doing some testing in release mode and have a blank white page when I turn on SDK linking, debug and release modes seem to work great if you don't link, but in release mode i generally use SDK linking. Anyone else seen this? Have a workaround other than don't use linking?

I have this issue too. I put my build into test flight and it was all broken.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:41 AM
  • User179286 posted

you have to add the CarouselView assembly to the don't link list

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:57 AM
  • User179286 posted

Just saw that this bug is already reported but this doesn't make it better as no one has took care of it yet

"System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element"

at

0x93 in System.Linq.Enumerable.Single at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/mono/external/referencesource/System.Core/System/Linq/Enumerable.cs:1050,13 C#

or at

>   0x93 in System.Linq.Enumerable.Single<int> at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/mono/external/referencesource/System.Core/System/Linq/Enumerable.cs:1050,13    C#
        0x12 in Android.Views.ViewGroup.RemoveAllViews at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/monodroid/src/Mono.Android/platforms/android-23/src/generated/Android.Views.ViewGroup.cs:3894,5    C#
        0x10 in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.Platform.SetPage at C:\BuildAgent2\work\aad494dc9bc9783\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\Platform.cs:392,5 C#
        0x12 in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.Platform.System.IDisposable.Dispose at C:\BuildAgent2\work\aad494dc9bc9783\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\Platform.cs:157,4  C#
        0x35 in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsApplicationActivity.OnDestroy at C:\BuildAgent2\work\aad494dc9bc9783\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\FormsApplicationActivity.cs:150,5   C#
        0xA in Android.App.Activity.n_OnDestroy at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/monodroid/src/Mono.Android/platforms/android-23/src/generated/Android.App.Activity.cs:2857,4  C#

or at

>   0x93 in System.Linq.Enumerable.Single<int> at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/mono/external/referencesource/System.Core/System/Linq/Enumerable.cs:1050,13    C#
        0x3D in Android.Views.View.DispatchTouchEvent at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/monodroid/src/Mono.Android/platforms/android-23/src/generated/Android.Views.View.cs:12433,5 C#
        0x50 in Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.PlatformRenderer.DispatchTouchEvent at C:\BuildAgent2\work\aad494dc9bc9783\Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android\PlatformRenderer.cs:35,4   C#
        0x13 in Android.Views.View.n_DispatchTouchEvent_Landroid_view_MotionEvent_ at /Users/builder/data/lanes/3415/7db2aac3/source/monodroid/src/Mono.Android/platforms/android-23/src/generated/Android.Views.View.cs:12420,4    C#

@BryanHunterXam could you have a look at this? I'm just refactoring my App to the new CarouselView and now I'm not sure if I can rely on it.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:09 AM
  • User8759 posted

I created an example, which works on Android devices. I have also some problems in Hyper-V Android Simulator, like described above . But on iOS I get still only an exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView' or one of its dependencies

I included the nuget packages to the iOS project! .

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 11:41 AM
  • User179286 posted

Just stumbled about the problem with sliding through all pages when setting Position. That's completely nonsense. There must be a property that let you disable this. If you have 400 entries in your Datasource and you want to jump inside this this is completely useless

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:48 PM
  • User10329 posted

Just a gut feeling, but I would think a datasource with 400 entries does not fit the intended purpose of a CarouselView. Of course, I could not be thinking of your specific use case.

But I agree, it would be nice to jump to any item in the CarouselView without seeing all the items in between.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:59 PM
  • User179286 posted

Why not? If I use a carouselview e.g. for a picture collecting it. Would make sense to have the possibility to jump to a desired month where pictures were taken.

Even with 20entries and you want to jump from end to end it doesn't make sense.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:30 PM
  • User10329 posted

I agreed with you above.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:35 PM
  • User33994 posted

@ThomasBurkhart said: you have to add the CarouselView assembly to the don't link list

I have tried that a bit with no luck, added what I thought the assembly name is to the mtouch args. Have any hints to make that work in Xamarin Studio?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:03 AM
  • User204436 posted

Hi, Can I get CarouselView with two or more views xaml examples? (not .cs example)

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:00 AM
  • User75318 posted

@ThomasBurkhart said: Just stumbled about the problem with sliding through all pages when setting Position. That's completely nonsense. There must be a property that let you disable this. If you have 400 entries in your Datasource and you want to jump inside this this is completely useless

if true, this also keeps us from using it to do infinite paging - tinder style

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:52 AM
  • User179286 posted

Yep, it's defenatly the case :-(

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:09 AM
  • User196259 posted

Some feedback:

• On Android I also get the Sequence contains more than one element exception.
    • On iOS, I can't set the Position property when I initialize my carousel.
    • I'd like to see the source code.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:19 AM
  • User179286 posted

Luckily Adam has saved an earlier version of the source code: https://xamarinhelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CarouselView.zip

I found the source of the Bug and it's easy to fix see the attached ScreenShow. Where the Single() call is are more than one Element in the Collection, likely because it's in between pages. If you replace this with First() everything is fine.

I also found if you set the ItemSource=null you can set the position without having the view swiping through the pages:

var itemsource = DayCarousel.ItemsSource;
            DayCarousel.ItemsSource = null;
            DayCarousel.Position = i;
            DayCarousel.ItemsSource = itemsource;

Please comment on the Issue https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41463 to show your are also interested in fixing this.

Unfortunately there is another problem in Android. If you place a vertical ListView inside the CarouselPage it's almost impossible to scroll it without triggering a scroll of the CarouselView.

@BryanHunterXam Where are you?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:09 PM
  • User232093 posted

Is there a workaround for this issue yet or can I "catch" this Exception somewhere in my application?

Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:51 AM
  • User179286 posted

Only chance is to take the source and add it to your project.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:43 AM
  • User215658 posted

Would it be possible as of now to make a customrenderer of the current CarouselView in order to make available to the controller the event of an user initiating the scroll? (as opposite to only having the event of the user finishing the scroll or to be more specific the item has already changed). I would like to perform animations that happen at the same time as the carousel is scrolling but I'm unable since the only event I have available is when the carousel has finished the scrolling.

Thanks

Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:44 AM
  • User67129 posted

Please can you open source this!

Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:52 AM
  • User179286 posted

@TheRealJasonSmith Any chance that this issues will be fixed in the near future? At the moment it's not a usable replacement for CarouselPage. On the other side I don't like to reverse all my refactoring

Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:59 AM
  • User181025 posted

Would love to see an update on the CarouselView. Without it working, I'm left in the dark.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:04 PM
  • User179286 posted

Just logged another issue https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=42320

The exception when only partila swiping is marked as fixed in pre-2, but wihtout a date :-(

Friday, July 1, 2016 2:21 PM
  • User232274 posted

On Android app crashes because of "Sequence contains more than one element exception." any ideas what to do?

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:24 PM
  • User232093 posted

I'm also having a problem on iPhone 6 (only in Ad-Hoc configuration deployed to phone, also doesn't happen on iPhone 5) where the carousel view is just empty and doesn't do anything when setting ItemSource.

Seems to be the linking problem you discussed on Page 1. What exactly do I have to put to in "additional mtouch arguments" to disable this assembly in linker?

This didn't work: --linkskip=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView --linkskip=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.iOS --linkskip=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.Platform

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:56 AM
  • User232274 posted

@ThomasBurkhart Where are you?

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 11:00 AM
  • User65806 posted

@LazareGiunashvili said: On Android app crashes because of "Sequence contains more than one element exception." any ideas what to do?

I get the same thing after a swipe back to the start.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 7:26 PM
  • User65806 posted

I made a simple banner that scrolls through each position then back to 0. I tried setting IsEnabled=false to prevent the end-user from trying to over right my scrolling but it doesn't seem to be disabling clicking.

Anyone have an idea how to not allow the user to click through the positions?

----SOLVED----

My solution was to add a Transparent BoxView ontop of the CarouselView:

<ListView.Header> <Grid> <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition Height="*"/> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <forms1:CarouselView x:Name="CarouselFeature" HeightRequest="125" BackgroundColor="Black" IsEnabled="False" Grid.Row="0"> <forms1:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid RowSpacing="0"> <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition Height="*" /> <RowDefinition Height="Auto" /> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <forms:CachedImage Grid.RowSpan="2" Grid.Row="0" HeightRequest="122" DownsampleToViewSize="true" Source="{Binding ImageUrl}" LoadingPlaceholder="loading.png" FadeAnimationEnabled="True" CacheDuration="1" /> <StackLayout Grid.Row="1" BackgroundColor="#80000000" Padding="12"> <Label TextColor="White" Text="{Binding Name}" FontSize="16" HorizontalOptions="Center" VerticalOptions="CenterAndExpand" /> </StackLayout> </Grid> </DataTemplate> </forms1:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> </forms1:CarouselView> <BoxView BackgroundColor="Transparent" Grid.Row="0"></BoxView> </Grid> </ListView.Header>

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:50 PM
  • User179286 posted

@LazareGiunashvili What do you mean?

Thursday, July 7, 2016 6:15 AM
  • User29221 posted

Having problem using on Windows Phone. I follow James Montemagno's blog post here: https://blog.xamarin.com/flip-through-items-with-xamarin-forms-carouselview/ but in Windows I cant see Carousel (either UWP and Windows Phone). In Android and iOS works perfect.

Monday, July 11, 2016 2:05 PM
  • User181025 posted

It's been almost one month since this thread was created. Can we see an update? A lot of us are counting on this control.

Monday, July 11, 2016 5:45 PM
  • User180523 posted

@JeffersonBalivo.2829 said: It's possible use CarouselView without Binding ItemsSource? I just need 2 Items (Pages)?

@AlessandroCaliaro said: mmmm maybe no

Bummer. I was kinda expecting this to function something like a StackLayout in Horizontal orientation. Just wrap some controls in tags and be off and running. Seems the BindingSource requirement is going to make it difficult to use for complex situations where I could otherwise lay out the XAML fairly easily and have each individual item have its own binding, styles and templates.

xml <CarouselView> <StackPanel> <!--Column 1 of stuff--> <StackPanel> <StackPanel> <!--Column 2 of stuff--> <StackPanel> <StackPanel> <!--Column 3 of stuff--> <StackPanel> </CarouselView> I know its pre-release, but I'm having trouble finding some XAML examples of how it is meant to be used. Link anyone? Maybe I'm just not seeing a good pattern due to not finding any examples.

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:35 PM
  • User58587 posted

@SamuelDebruyn said: Some feedback:

• On Android I also get the Sequence contains more than one element exception.
    • On iOS, I can't set the Position property when I initialize my carousel.

I have the exact same issues

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:05 AM
  • User263 posted

Currently testing CarouselView and working well, aside from a couple of minor bugs. Can we please request the ability to hide horizontal scrollbars in the PCL?

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:52 PM
  • User27449 posted

@lpdavies said:

@LesterMeeks said: I am doing some testing in release mode and have a blank white page when I turn on SDK linking, debug and release modes seem to work great if you don't link, but in release mode i generally use SDK linking. Anyone else seen this? Have a workaround other than don't use linking?

I have this issue too. I put my build into test flight and it was all broken.

I have same probrem. It appears blank page with linking option. It is not problem when "Supported architectures" is set to "(only)ARMv7" or "Enable device-specific builds" is turned on, though linking option is enabled.

Friday, July 15, 2016 3:03 AM
  • User181025 posted

+1 for hiding horizontal scrollbars

Friday, July 15, 2016 12:58 PM
  • User93655 posted

Hi, I'm using the new CarouselView. Inside this carousel view, i display several images. It works great on iOS but it display nothing on Android.

It works really great on iOS because the CarouselItem.BindingContext is set. But on Android, the item's binding context is not coupled to the item's bindingcontext but to the carousel's binding context.

It results that on Android, my data template's binding path are not found because it looks inside the pageviewmodel instead of looking inside the "CarouselItem"'s bindingcontext.

The only workaround I found is to get rid of bindings on the carousel. And add items in code by adding Image with source set with the item.url (in the for each loop). But I'd rather have things working in xaml with mvvm approach.

Tested on Galaxay Note I - API 16 -Doesn't work Tested on emulator on API 23 - Works great

Is it a bug ? Or my device ?

I faced severals Sequence Contains More than one Elements Exception on Android.

But nice stuff XF team !!! Thanks a lot

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:27 PM
  • User2148 posted

@NicolasKrier, ContentView is already in Beta.. there are some problems... BTW you should post a Repo on GitHub about your problem so we can take a look...

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:30 PM
  • User93655 posted

@AlessandroCaliaro said: @NicolasKrier, ContentView is already in Beta.. there are some problems... BTW you should post a Repo on GitHub about your problem so we can take a look...

Yea I know. Do you know if there is a place where the known issues for contentView are reported ? I'll create a PoC project this weekend so I can even send it to Xamarin if it's a bug. By the way, thanks for the answer

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:19 PM
  • User2148 posted

Should be on Bugzilla.Xamarin.com

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:21 PM
  • User179286 posted

I really would not advice anybody to use CarouselView unless we get to pre2 because there are so many already filed bugs in there that will be fixed in pre2.

Friday, July 22, 2016 11:55 AM
  • User225113 posted

@ThomasBurkhart said: I really would not advice anybody to use CarouselView unless we get to pre2 because there are so many already filed bugs in there that will be fixed in pre2.

Could you give us a timeframe for the release of pre2?

Friday, July 22, 2016 11:57 AM
  • User179286 posted

Unfortunately no, I mailed with the responsible dev from Xamarin and they are too busy at the moment with the next release of Xamarin.Forms so he could not promise anything.

Friday, July 22, 2016 11:59 AM
  • User48551 posted

@ThomasBurkhart said: Unfortunately no, I mailed with the responsible dev from Xamarin and they are too busy at the moment with the next release of Xamarin.Forms so he could not promise anything.

Hi @ThomasBurkhart,

Do you have any ETA for the next version of Xamarin.Forms?

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:16 PM
  • User179286 posted

No

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:17 PM
  • User48551 posted

Okay, thanks for the fast reply, we've had a discussion over twitter with @JamesMontemagno about some problems I've had with carousel view, not sure if there's already a bug filed about it, or I'm doing something wrong. I've also put up an example on github, if you have the time to look at that.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:21 PM
  • User114970 posted

I've written down a little guide on how to add page indicators to the CarouselView, if anyone is interested you can read it up here : Adding Page Indicators to a CarouselView

Sunday, July 24, 2016 10:58 AM
  • User67129 posted

Worried by the lack of progress and response from Xamarin.

4 months since CarouselView was released to the world in preview (Xamarin.Forms 2.2.0.4 Pre-1 releaesed on April 5th) Community have filed bugs in bugzilla but no reply from any Xamarin representative in this thread

Is anyone actually listening at Xamarin?

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:20 PM
  • User181025 posted

@JKay I'm thinking the XF team is pretty small and they have many other things to work on. You'd expect Microsoft to beef up the size of the team. Such a shame.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:29 PM
  • User67129 posted

@AdrianKnight I think you're right about the small team. Although I have asked previously for CarouselView to be open sourced but received no reply.

I guess Microsoft are profit driven so I'd imagine they will be pushing everything towards azure where they make their money.

Although for me Xamarin.Forms provides a way to build UWP applications with no effort where they would otherwise be completely neglected, with Android and iOS taking precedence in the real world.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:35 PM
  • User103333 posted

@AdrianKnight @JKay I think they are planning something cool just let them do the magic!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:22 PM
  • User242929 posted

Possibly more of a question about Xamarin.Forms version numbers... my appologies as I'm just getting into Xamarin this past couple weeks.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/2.3.0-pre1 Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView version 2.3.0-pre1 the NuGet page says that is requires Xamarin.Forms >= 2.3.0.42-pre3

Looking at the version history at the bottom of the Xamarin.Forms NuGet page... there was never a Zamarin.Forms version of 2.3.0.42-pre3. Instead there WAS a version of Xamarin.Forms numbered 2.3.0.46-pre3https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms/2.3.0.46-pre3

Was the 2.3.0.42-pre3 just a "typo" - or do the "-pre#" releases move around a bit or something?

Just trying to get up to speed with how to interpret dependencies and version numbers, and this specific case is making me doubt my understanding.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:28 PM
  • User67129 posted

@MiguelCervantes I hope you're right

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:10 AM
  • User173875 posted

Hi everyone. Apologies for the glacial progress on this component. During the week of Evolve, problems with the CarouselView's code quality led us to pulling it from the Forms package.

Many of those problems have finally been resolved, and we are preparing to release a CarouselView-pre2 package.

Pre2 addresses many bugs, but more importantly it improves the code quality to the level we would expect from open source community contributions. Shortly after Pre2 is released, CarouselView will be open sourced.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:05 PM
  • User173875 posted

@ToddHardin said: Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView version 2.3.0-pre1 the NuGet page says that is requires Xamarin.Forms >= 2.3.0.42-pre3 ... Was the 2.3.0.42-pre3 just a "typo" - or do the "-pre#" releases move around a bit or something?

Good eye. All builds after 2.3.0.42-pre3 should work fine, but here are the details on that mysterious build "42":

Build "Xamarin.Forms 2.3.0.42-pre3" was published Saturday, May 28, 2016, but it had a packaging issue that was quickly spotted and corrected. Since there were no code changes (just packaging changes) that build was unpublished and replaced with Xamarin.Forms 2.3.0.46-pre3 on Monday, May 30, 2016.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:26 PM
  • User242929 posted

@BryanHunterXam - ah, mystery solved! I feel much better about understanding the versioning now.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:38 PM
  • User242929 posted

re:CarouselView-pre2 What is the recommended way to get a feeling for roughly when a stable release might be available?

I suppose this question is not isolated to the CarouselView, rather it is something I've been seeking to understand about all Xamarin releases.

I've searched for a release schedule, or potential release scheduled, etc. and have failed to find anything - my apologies if I've overlooked some information.

I'm wondering how to respond to questions from management at my company about our project release schedule risks if our dev team decides that something in a pre-release version is highly desirable to address one of our feature needs.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:44 PM
  • User173875 posted

A CarouselView-pre2 package was just released to Nuget: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselVIew

Other news: CarouselView is scheduled to be open sourced on Tuesday, August 2, 2016.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:00 PM
  • User242929 posted

@HotTotem - big thanks for sharing your solution for page indicators - exactly what I needed to sort out

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:39 PM
  • User114970 posted

@ToddHardin glad you like it! Unfortunately using the material design on android removes the borders on the buttons and makes the dots invisible, ill add a solution to this in the post tonight :)

Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:44 AM
  • User67129 posted

Pre 2 looks good. One thing I would say is make sure you clean and rebuild after upgrading otherwise you may get this error:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies. 07-28 09:06:37.365 E/mono-rt ( 5040): File name: 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView.Platform

Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:16 AM
  • User58587 posted

iOS renderer is not jumping to the correct position on first load - its always at position 0.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:55 AM
  • User108460 posted

Have a problem with Windows Phone here : https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/72212/xamarin-forms-carouselview-and-windows-phone

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:54 AM
  • User114970 posted

I have updated the PageIndicator Project here : GitHub and the tutorial : hot-totem.com/blog/post/carouselview-pageindicators-xamarinforms to make it compatible with material design :)

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:59 AM
  • User218496 posted

anyone tried to use the itemselected event handler, it seems to have some really strange behaviours

Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:04 PM
  • User114970 posted

@YongZhong yes i think it is acting weird... Go with the page selected event its more reliable

Saturday, July 30, 2016 9:22 PM
  • User46031 posted

@BryanHunterXam Still on schedule to open source?

Like others I am also keen to have the ability to skip directly to a particular position without animation!

cheers.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:18 AM
  • User225113 posted

@BryanHunterXam said: A CarouselView-pre2 package was just released to Nuget: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselVIew

Other news: CarouselView is scheduled to be open sourced on Tuesday, August 2, 2016.

That was yesterday and I can't find the source on Github...

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 8:51 AM
  • User108460 posted

Carousel work with Windows Phone ?

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:35 AM
  • User173875 posted

The CarouselView is now open source: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView

Friday, August 5, 2016 9:35 PM
  • User76049 posted

@Naografix

From what I see in the source it support WinRT and UWP.

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/blob/master/txt/src/carouselView/dev/Shared.Windows/CarouselViewRenderer.cs

Monday, August 8, 2016 11:00 AM
  • User108460 posted

@NMackay So WinRT can work with Windows Phone Silverlight no ?

Monday, August 8, 2016 11:38 AM
  • User76049 posted

@Naografix

No, I don't think so, someone correct me if I'm wrong. We're supporting UWP but nothing before it.

Monday, August 8, 2016 11:44 AM
  • User78556 posted

Is there any way to achieve a card-like view, as shown in the blog's image?

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:55 PM
  • User149286 posted

Anybody else having the background color of their listview turn grey when tapping outside of the list view in a carousel view? iOS only

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:30 AM
  • User149286 posted

Example of this bug in action is attached. Just click on the red or blue box view and see that the list view background turns gray.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:49 AM
  • User95096 posted

Hi

I'm trying to make the carouselview (pre-2) clickable (through a tapgesturerecognizer) but in Android it's not working whereas in iOS it works perfectly. Is it really working or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Saturday, August 13, 2016 7:27 AM
  • User174034 posted

@AbelGarciaSaiz said:

Hi

I'm trying to make the carouselview (pre-2) clickable (through a tapgesturerecognizer) but in Android it's not working whereas in iOS it works perfectly. Is it really working or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

We had this problem. The only solution we could find that worked, was this one. Using a color transparent boxview over the element inside. It's kind of hackish, but it worked. :neutral:

csharp <cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid> <local:SomeView /> <BoxView Color="Transparent"> <BoxView.GestureRecognizers> <TapGestureRecognizer /> </BoxView.GestureRecognizers> </BoxView> </Grid> </DataTemplate>

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:04 AM
  • User95096 posted

Thanks @OddbjornBakke Although it is working with that hack, it's not a solution for me because it is delegating the tap gesture on carousel items and not in the carousel itself whose binding would be in the page's viewmodel.

I would try to find another workaround

Thanks

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:59 PM
  • User174034 posted

@AbelGarciaSaiz said: Thanks @OddbjornBakke Although it is working with that hack, it's not a solution for me because it is delegating the tap gesture on carousel items and not in the carousel itself whose binding would be in the page's viewmodel.

I would try to find another workaround

Thanks

We do something like (including that boxview hack):

xml <cv:CarouselView x:Name="carouselName" ... /> and then:

```xml

... ```

Then the bindingcontext is the pages viewmodel, width a generic command, taking the carousel item viewmodel as a parameter.

There might be a lot better ways of doing this, but since this is a preview, I have not used that much time finding alternative solutions. So please tell if you find a better way ;)

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:05 AM
  • User140184 posted

Hello everyone,

I have a Xamarin.Forms application where i use the new CarouselView. My main page is a TabbedPage where i have a navigation page for each tab with a content page. In one of my tab i have a CarouselView. It works perfectly on iOS but on Android, since the TabbedPage allows user to swipe to change tab, the CarouselView swipe is not working.

Is there a way to make it work ? Maybe by disabling the swipe on TabbedPage on Android ?

Thank you !

Saturday, August 27, 2016 7:18 PM
  • User181025 posted

When I display a carousel of content pages, appearing and disappearing events don't seem to be called when position is changed.

Monday, August 29, 2016 5:25 AM
  • User28549 posted

@AdrianKnight said: When I display a carousel of content pages, appearing and disappearing events don't seem to be called when position is changed.

Here's how I handled it
    http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/72960/whats-the-cleanest-way-to-have-one-unique-view-per-view-in-a-carouselview#latest

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:53 PM
  • User181025 posted

@ChaseFlorell So then the child items should be defined as views (in your case CarouselContentView : ContentView)? I suppose it doesnt make sense to use pages.

Monday, August 29, 2016 7:27 PM
  • User176852 posted

Hello,

I'm using CarouselView pre2.

Everything works fine on Android.

However, in iOS 8.1, it works fine until i try to navigate to another page (setting Detail to another page in MasterDetailPage) : i'm facing a crash...

iOS 9 is OK.

Has anyone got same issue ?

Thank you, have a nice day,

Antony

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:03 PM
  • User188917 posted

Guys, I'm having issue with System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer' from assembly 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. I've tried rebuild project doesn't help. Any ideas?

Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:13 AM
  • User393 posted

Everything was working fine and Carousel View was working. All of a sudden this morning I keep getting this error. Any clue what would cause that to happen?

Could not load type 'Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer' from assembly 'Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:18 PM
  • User181025 posted

@Ron.Klintskey @RyanWatson Many renderers seem broken now. See Daniel's response here.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:49 PM
  • User393 posted

@AdrianKnight said: @Ron.Klintskey @RyanWatson Many renderers seem broken now. See Daniel's response here.

Thanks, I downgraded and that fixed my issue.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:08 PM
  • User254098 posted

Short question: Is the CarouselView (pre2) reliable for you? Because I nested it inside a TabbedPage and it randomly switches to the right / left tab instead of switching to the previous / next carouselview-item. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:58 AM
  • User13536 posted

There is any way to use the CarouselView in vertical?

Friday, October 7, 2016 9:17 AM
  • User181025 posted

I just worked on enabling iOS TabbedPage to have sliding behavior like Android. I know CarouselView is intended for another purpose, but if you're interested, you could take a look here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/434

Monday, October 10, 2016 3:58 AM
  • User198154 posted

Have following problem with WP platform, when try debug on Windows 10 mobile, catch unhandled exception, but it's successfully working in emulator 8.1

Attempt by method 'Xamarin.Forms.ItemsView+ItemsSourceProxy.get_SyncContext()' to access method 'Xamarin.Forms.BindingBase.TryGetSynchronizedCollection(System.Collections.IEnumerable, Xamarin.Forms.CollectionSynchronizationContext ByRef)' failed.

Does someone have the same problem, could you help me?

Monday, October 10, 2016 8:41 AM
  • User393 posted

Anyone else having a problem where the order of their pages are changing? I have 7-8 pages and when I scroll to the last page and then back to the first page, the first page is different than what it was the first time.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:14 PM
  • User174034 posted

@RyanWatson said: Anyone else having a problem where the order of their pages are changing? I have 7-8 pages and when I scroll to the last page and then back to the first page, the first page is different than what it was the first time.

Might have something to do with carouselview reusing cells. Some code will do this. Same goes for ListView etc.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:45 AM
  • User67129 posted

Tried looking at this on Github, but couldnt even set the project up with spaces in the file path. Filed here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/6

The complexity of setting this project up i.e. doing the steps here https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView#opening-solution to even open the project is a real barrier for anyone looking to contribute to this project.

Any reason its so complicated to open / build?

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:14 AM
  • User67129 posted

Does anyone actually monitor this project?

The project doesn't have a Licence file

This means that you retain all rights to your source code and that nobody else may reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from your work. This might not be what you intend.

This means I can't work on it even if I wanted to

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:55 AM
  • User268935 posted

Looks like on the latest version, when you change the orientation, it will get stuck between two different slides. At least on the iPad simulator this is what happens. -- It happens in both directions by the way, that is, it happens when going from landscape to portrait, or from portrait to landscape...

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:43 AM
  • User67129 posted

@MichaelJensen.1679 filed that bug yesterday: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=45912

Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:40 AM
  • User211233 posted

Hey guys, I would love implement that for PCL project, any idea?

Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:20 AM
  • User232295 posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this..

@BrainSlugs83 said: Looks like on the latest version, when you change the orientation, it will get stuck between two different slides. At least on the iPad simulator this is what happens. -- It happens in both directions by the way, that is, it happens when going from landscape to portrait, or from portrait to landscape...

Friday, November 4, 2016 10:58 PM
  • User269898 posted

Hi everyone there is one issue when the itemssource of carousel view about 2000 pages for example, when setting current position from first page to say 1000, it will flip all the pages until it get there which take alot of time to do that. Is there

Saturday, November 12, 2016 1:50 PM
  • User2148 posted

I think an app with 2000 pages all together is not well designed

Saturday, November 12, 2016 2:47 PM
  • User269898 posted

really, I did that with android studio and viewPager of more than 12000 pages and when set first page and last page is just take 1-2 seconds, my app is library of books, and there is a book consist of more than 20 volumes each of more than 500, and count it then you know

Saturday, November 12, 2016 2:54 PM
  • User6753 posted

@dashne said: really, I did that with android studio and viewPager of more than 12000 pages and when set first page and last page is just take 1-2 seconds, my app is library of books, and there is a book consist of more than 20 volumes each of more than 500, and count it then you know

Why not dynamically add the next 10 pages, last 10 pages so there is only 20 pages in the carousel then keep that up to date in page on page change. Then have a goto option where you replace the list bound to the carousel which will have no animation, just a straight swap?

Sunday, November 13, 2016 8:59 PM
  • User269898 posted

I did that for only for three page just like off screen Limit of view pager, but the problem is that there is no event for page scroll settled event or some thing like this to handle these three pages every time that the page is had been scrolled, its really needed this functionality and I think this will help the performance better.

Sunday, November 13, 2016 10:36 PM
  • User208572 posted

Hi everyone

I am a Xamarin newby and I would like to use the carouselview.

Unfortunately I get an error (on Android, but it crashes as well on Windows an iOS) on my test page:

"System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary."

My XAML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <d:BaseContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="BFH_USZ_PICC.Views.MaintenanceInstructionPage" xmlns:d="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Views;assembly=BFH_USZ_PICC.Views" xmlns:i18n="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Utilitys.Extensions" xmlns:controls="clr-namespace:CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions;assembly=CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions" xmlns:cv="clr-namespace:Xamarin.Forms;assembly=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView"> <Grid> <cv:CarouselView x:Name="InstructionCarousel">    <cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid>  <Grid.RowDefinitions>             <RowDefinition Height="*"/>             <RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>            </Grid.RowDefinitions> <Image Source="{Binding Source}" Grid.RowSpan="2"/>  <StackLayout Grid.Row="1"> <Label Text="Test"/>            </StackLayout> </Grid> </DataTemplate> </cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> </cv:CarouselView> </Grid> </d:BaseContentPage>

My code:

public sealed partial class MaintenanceInstructionPage : BaseContentPage { public MaintenanceInstructionPage(ContentPage contained) : base(contained) { InitializeComponent(); ObservableCollection<Image> MainenanceInstruction = new ObservableCollection<Image>(); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); InstructionCarousel.ItemsSource = MainenanceInstruction;
    } }

I tired to be close to this example: https://blog.xamarin.com/flip-through-items-with-xamarin-forms-carouselview

Does anyone have an idea why it is not working?

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:16 PM
  • User268935 posted

@MarkRadcliffe said:

@dashne said: really, I did that with android studio and viewPager of more than 12000 pages and when set first page and last page is just take 1-2 seconds, my app is library of books, and there is a book consist of more than 20 volumes each of more than 500, and count it then you know

Why not dynamically add the next 10 pages, last 10 pages so there is only 20 pages in the carousel then keep that up to date in page on page change. Then have a goto option where you replace the list bound to the carousel which will have no animation, just a straight swap?

The control is already virtual. Your solution is to manually make it double virtual? -- Sure, it would work if done right, but the control is slow enough as it is, and doing a bunch of extra work twice is kind of lame. -- Also consider that this problem is not unique. -- I have the same issue for example. -- Every person who does this will end up with their own bugs and headaches that they have to deal with, when the control says it should be able to do it on it's own. -- So, why not just let him report the bug and let Xamarin fix their control?

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:58 AM
  • User268935 posted

@FlorianSchnyder said: Hi everyone

I am a Xamarin newby and I would like to use the carouselview.

Unfortunately I get an error (on Android, but it crashes as well on Windows an iOS) on my test page:

"System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary."

My XAML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <d:BaseContentPage xmlns="http://xamarin.com/schemas/2014/forms" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2009/xaml" x:Class="BFH_USZ_PICC.Views.MaintenanceInstructionPage" xmlns:d="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Views;assembly=BFH_USZ_PICC.Views" xmlns:i18n="clr-namespace:BFH_USZ_PICC.Utilitys.Extensions" xmlns:controls="clr-namespace:CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions;assembly=CarouselView.FormsPlugin.Abstractions" xmlns:cv="clr-namespace:Xamarin.Forms;assembly=Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView"> <Grid> <cv:CarouselView x:Name="InstructionCarousel">    <cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> <DataTemplate> <Grid>  <Grid.RowDefinitions>             <RowDefinition Height="*"/>             <RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>            </Grid.RowDefinitions> <Image Source="{Binding Source}" Grid.RowSpan="2"/>  <StackLayout Grid.Row="1"> <Label Text="Test"/>            </StackLayout> </Grid> </DataTemplate> </cv:CarouselView.ItemTemplate> </cv:CarouselView> </Grid> </d:BaseContentPage>

My code:

public sealed partial class MaintenanceInstructionPage : BaseContentPage { public MaintenanceInstructionPage(ContentPage contained) : base(contained) { InitializeComponent(); ObservableCollection<Image> MainenanceInstruction = new ObservableCollection<Image>(); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); MainenanceInstruction.Add(new Image { Source = "icon.png" }); InstructionCarousel.ItemsSource = MainenanceInstruction;
    } }

I tired to be close to this example: https://blog.xamarin.com/flip-through-items-with-xamarin-forms-carouselview

Does anyone have an idea why it is not working?

The control is completely broken for UWP right now. -- I get this exact error message even with a very simple barebones CarouselView demo. -- It seems to be working fine on iOS and Android though (at least for me). -- I hope they fix the UWP stuff soon.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:01 AM
  • User6753 posted

The control is already virtual. Your solution is to manually make it double virtual? -- Sure, it would work if done right, but the control is slow enough as it is, and doing a bunch of extra work twice is kind of lame. -- Also consider that this problem is not unique. -- I have the same issue for example. -- Every person who does this will end up with their own bugs and headaches that they have to deal with, when the control says it should be able to do it on it's own. -- So, why not just let him report the bug and let Xamarin fix their control?

Thats all well and good but xamarin have this control in preview and haven't really made the effort to make it work properly. The amount of bugs getting fixed is pretty poor at the moment, so if he wants to wait around for months then thats fine but I'd try to figure something out in the meantime. Even just rebinding the list with the position set may be a way to get around the lack of support for the control.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:02 AM
  • User246452 posted

I seem to be getting a leak when using a carousel view with images. Can anyone confirm this?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:09 PM
  • User272813 posted

I am getting issues when using nested carousel view within an carousel view. Can anyone confirm/help?

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 1:00 AM
  • User2148 posted

I don't know if nesting is a good thing. It seems like a listview inside a listview or a scrollview... only problems

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:19 AM
  • User237248 posted

There's a really nasty Position property binding issue with this as well. :neutral: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/8

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:31 PM
  • User275102 posted

Has anyone been able to prevent the carousel from intercepting input from its children? I am trying to implement hand drawing functionality to a view nested within a CarouselView, with a toggle to turn the carousel on or off. It works fine in Android by calling this.Parent.RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent(true), but in iOS there doesn't seem to be a way to control which view gets the input first. I figure my only choice is to implement a custom renderer for CarouselView, but I can't quite figure it out how to go about implementing it.

Friday, December 2, 2016 9:56 AM
  • User275102 posted

For those curious, this thread helped me solve the above problem: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/3574/avoid-event-propagation-to-scrollview

Monday, December 5, 2016 7:55 AM
  • User248173 posted

i think this may help you.......

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/240791/#Comment_240791

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:42 PM
  • User175729 posted

Anyone have an idea for disable gesture swiping recognizers of carouselview ?

Monday, January 9, 2017 1:40 PM
  • User393 posted

@FlorianMICHALON said: Anyone have an idea for disable gesture swiping recognizers of carouselview ?

Do you have any suggested replacement control to do the same thing?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:25 PM
  • User171749 posted

@FlorianMICHALON @RyanWatson

Just a suggestion.. Why not remove the pages from the CarouselView while you want to disable it but keep the instance of the pages in memory, when you want to allow swipe again add/insert them back in?

Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:32 AM
  • User393 posted

Oops sorry @FlorianMICHALON and @lpdavies some how I got on the wrong thread when I did my response.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:59 PM
  • User251799 posted

@FlorianMICHALON If you're running into the same issue of the gesture being way too sensitive (basically impossible not to trigger a horizontal swipe when trying to scroll vertically), there's also a thread on the issue tracker. This doesn't seem to be monitored though: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/15

Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:01 AM
  • User265422 posted

@PhilippSumi said: @FlorianMICHALON If you're running into the same issue of the gesture being way too sensitive (basically impossible not to trigger a horizontal swipe when trying to scroll vertically), there's also a thread on the issue tracker. This doesn't seem to be monitored though: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/15

I have the same problem with my listview in a carrousselview, really really too sensitive.

I read this: Possible fixes include: Set a minimum xDiff (xStart-xEnd on touch position) before considering changing view. Set a minimum velocity for the swipe, which currently seems to be zero on Android.

It's works? How i can do this?

Thursday, February 2, 2017 3:32 PM
  • User296483 posted

how i can change source code to have circular (looped infinitely) navigation of items within carouselview?

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:56 PM
  • User213860 posted

@HenrySipp You aren't the only one, I started a github issues and it seems like others are seeing it as well. https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/16

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:24 PM
  • User130 posted

UPDATE: We have a new release of this cooking and hope to be able to share that progress with you very soon. We need to finish tidying up a few API issues the team discussed yesterday and make sure we've addressed a few other things.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:39 PM
  • User2148 posted

:p !

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:40 PM
  • User279343 posted

In my project i have put the carouselview inside the Header in listview . First time it is displayed and work proper , once we come from another page , it is not working properly in windows. Same code is working in Android and ios

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:11 PM
  • User265422 posted

@DavidOrtinau Do you fix the sensitive issue when carouselview include listview? https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/15

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:43 AM
  • User130 posted

@TonyPinot said: @DavidOrtinau Do you fix the sensitive issue when carouselview include listview? https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/15

Let's test that when we have the new release posted.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:31 AM
  • User265422 posted

@DavidOrtinau said:

@TonyPinot said: @DavidOrtinau Do you fix the sensitive issue when carouselview include listview? https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/15

Let's test that when we have the new release posted.

Ok thanks :smile: Do you know when the release will be posted? 1 week? 1 month? +?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:40 AM
  • User393 posted

@DavidOrtinau said:

UPDATE: We have a new release of this cooking and hope to be able to share that progress with you very soon. We need to finish tidying up a few API issues the team discussed yesterday and make sure we've addressed a few other things.

@DavidOrtinau Did the CarouselView v1 Stable get pushed from Feb to Q2? Is this version you are talking about just another beta version?

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:50 PM
  • User251799 posted

@RyanWatson said: @DavidOrtinau said:

@DavidOrtinau Did the CarouselView v1 Stable get pushed from Feb to Q2? Is this version you are talking about just another beta version?

Also, are those changes available anywhere? There hasn't been any activity on GitHub as far as I can tell. The control behaves super weird (it doesn't even handle programmatic Position property changes ~~reliably~~ in most cases), and the community might chime in to some degree in order to fix some issues.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:11 PM
  • User232093 posted

Is it possible to disable changing Position? Or swiping between Positions altogether? Background: I have a control in a CarouselView that enables zooming and panning when it's being interacted with. I want to disable changing Position of the CarouselView during that, as it may happen by accident.

Edit: I did implement this on iOS with a custom renderer using "Control.ScrollEnabled". Still would like a Forms solution for Android and UWP.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:26 PM
  • User67129 posted

@DavidOrtinau said: UPDATE: We have a new release of this cooking and hope to be able to share that progress with you very soon. We need to finish tidying up a few API issues the team discussed yesterday and make sure we've addressed a few other things.

Any more info on this?

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:10 PM
  • User251799 posted

@JKay said:

@DavidOrtinau said: UPDATE: We have a new release of this cooking and hope to be able to share that progress with you very soon. We need to finish tidying up a few API issues the team discussed yesterday and make sure we've addressed a few other things.

Any more info on this?

On that note, please also tend to the GitHub project page. People are posting issues there without getting feedback, and potentially attempting to solve problems that may have already been solved. I'd rather have no issues section (or a sticky warning that it's not monitored) than spending time on reporting stuff that nobody reads...

Saturday, March 4, 2017 10:51 PM
  • User275102 posted

@MatthiasPorges said: Is it possible to disable changing Position? Or swiping between Positions altogether? Background: I have a control in a CarouselView that enables zooming and panning when it's being interacted with. I want to disable changing Position of the CarouselView during that, as it may happen by accident.

Edit: I did implement this on iOS with a custom renderer using "Control.ScrollEnabled". Still would like a Forms solution for Android and UWP.

For Android, I know you can call RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent(true) from the CarouselView or this.Parent.RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent(true) from a child of the CarouselView to prevent it from scrolling. Hope that helps you.

Monday, March 6, 2017 3:12 AM
  • User104318 posted

-DELETE-

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 7:13 AM
  • User158930 posted

I`m trying to convert my CarouselPage to a CarouselView. In my CarouselPage i have some ContentPages, which i transformed to ContentViews. Now i added the ContentViews to the CarouselView.

<forms:CarouselView ItemsSource="{Binding ContentViews}">
             <forms:CarouselView.ItemTemplate>
              <DataTemplate>
               <ContentView Content="{Binding Content}" />/
              </DataTemplate>
             </forms:CarouselView.ItemTemplate>
            </forms:CarouselView>

private List<ContentView> _contentViews;
    public List<ContentView> ContentViews
        {
            get { return _contentViews; }
            set { SetProperty(ref _contentViews, value); }
        }
    public TestVM(){{ContentViews = new List<ContentView> { new Selector(), new TestView(), new TestView{BindingContext = new TestViewModel()}}

It works fine, but i`m losing my databinding. Now i was wondering how i could bind a ViewModel to the Views in the Carousel View, or if i could bind them to the "Parent" Viewmodel of the Carousel.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:30 AM
  • User158930 posted

-DELETE-

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:42 AM
  • User103886 posted

Any ETA for the Final version of the CarouselView? The GitHub repo is quite :(

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 7:19 AM
  • User216022 posted

Hi, I don't mean to be ungrateful (you sharing your insight is certainly an improvement :wink:), but it's been 3 weeks and there seems to be no change. Could we get some current update on the progress?

Also as was mentioned by others, is someone monitoring the issues on GitHub? There are some serious ones reported...

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 7:41 AM
  • User263 posted

@AdrianKnight @BryanHunterXam @ThomasBurkhart @voidstream @DavidOrtinau Here is a workaround/fix for ListView vertical scrolling problems inside CarouselView on Android. Spent some time this morning identifying the problem and crafting a workaround. Needed a fix as we need to ship!

• Parent view (RecyclerView used by CarouselView) is intercepting touch events, preventing propagation to the ListView.
    • RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent can be used to prevent parent view from intercepting ListView touch events.

To implement, simply create a custom renderer for ListView on Android and override the OnInterceptTouchEvent method. Implementation looks something like this, tested working:

public override bool OnInterceptTouchEvent(MotionEvent ev)
    {
        if (ev.Action == MotionEventActions.Move)
        {
            Parent?.RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent(true);
        }

return base.OnInterceptTouchEvent(ev);
    }

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:37 AM
  • User265422 posted

@Velocity said: @AdrianKnight @BryanHunterXam @ThomasBurkhart @voidstream @DavidOrtinau Here is a workaround/fix for ListView vertical scrolling problems inside CarouselView on Android. Spent some time this morning identifying the problem and crafting a workaround. Needed a fix as we need to ship!

• Parent view (RecyclerView used by CarouselView) is intercepting touch events, preventing propagation to the ListView.
    • RequestDisallowInterceptTouchEvent can be used to prevent parent view from intercepting ListView touch events.

To implement, simply create a custom renderer for ListView on Android and override the OnInterceptTouchEvent method. Implementation looks something like this, tested working:

{
        {
        }

}

Thanks, and can you drop me the fix of switch view lags? Please, we talk of that on another thread

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:09 PM
  • User130 posted

@czPeP said: Hi, I don't mean to be ungrateful (you sharing your insight is certainly an improvement :wink:), but it's been 3 weeks and there seems to be no change. Could we get some current update on the progress?

Also as was mentioned by others, is someone monitoring the issues on GitHub? There are some serious ones reported...

We have reviewed the issues on GitHub and verified the updates we've been preparing for release fix those. Once we release, we'll be deprecating that repository.

Our focus on performance and stability in Forms, especially on Android, has delayed release of feature progress such as here on CarouselView.

We are preparing several releases now. I'll confirm timing and update here on what to expect.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:33 PM
  • User282565 posted

There is a breaking error on Android with the CarouselView with 2.3.4.212-pre4. On the upside, the opacity issue is fixed!

Time Device Name Type PID Tag Message 03-12 19:11:19.142 5.5" Marshmallow (6.0.0) XXHDPI Phone Error 5677 AndroidRuntime --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x0000c] in <2b600c964e7e4311aabc95ee34a8aa98>:0 at Java.Interop.JniEnvironment+InstanceMethods.CallNonvirtualVoidMethod (Java.Interop.JniObjectReference instance, Java.Interop.JniObjectReference type, Java.Interop.JniMethodInfo method, Java.Interop.JniArgumentValue* args) [0x000a7] in <dd3713ef7f1a46dfbffbab36a35c89e8>:0 at Java.Interop.JniPeerMembers+JniInstanceMethods.InvokeNonvirtualVoidMethod (System.String encodedMember, Java.Interop.IJavaPeerable self, Java.Interop.JniArgumentValue* parameters) [0x00020] in <dd3713ef7f1a46dfbffbab36a35c89e8>:0 at Android.Views.ViewGroup.Layout (System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x0005f] in <905597eeb33c4c5090d50bf2166777b7>:0 at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.ViewRenderer2[TView,TNativeView].OnLayout (System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 l, System.Int32 t, System.Int32 r, System.Int32 b) [0x00059] in :0 at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer.OnLayout (System.Boolean changed, System.Int32 left, System.Int32 top, System.Int32 right, System.Int32 bottom) [0x00017] in <98ef4d3d8b214c838f1b190032afb88a>:0 at Xamarin.Forms.Platform.Android.FormsViewGroup.nOnLayoutZIIII (System.IntPtr jnienv, System.IntPtr native__this, System.Boolean p0, System.Int32 p1, System.Int32 p2, System.Int32 p3, System.Int32 p4) [0x00008] in <77b7e6f748c645c4adac78f920bf79b5>:0 at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:fc5772e1-bebb-4a8b-9920-97c541a2e399 (intptr,intptr,bool,int,int,int,int)`

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:06 PM
  • User221964 posted

@Velocity

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:22 PM
  • User251799 posted

My app started crashing reliably on CarouselView after upgrading from pre2 with a DivideByZeroException. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=53382

Xamarin caused by: android.runtime.JavaProxyThrowable: System.DivideByZeroException: Attempted to divide by zero. Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer.VirtualLayoutManager.GetPosition(int itemCount, int positionOrigin, int x, bool exclusive)<98ef4d3d8b214c838f1b190032afb88a>:0 Xamarin.Forms.Platform.CarouselViewRenderer.VirtualLayoutManager.GetPositions(int positionOrigin, int itemCount, Rectangle viewport)<98ef4d3d8b214c838f1b190032afb88a>:0 Xamarin.Forms.Platform.PhysicalLayoutManager.OnLayoutChildren(RecyclerView.Recycler recycler, RecyclerView.State state)<98ef4d3d8b214c838f1b190032afb88a>:0 Android.Support.V7.Widget.RecyclerView.LayoutManager.nOnLayoutChildrenLandroidsupportv7widgetRecyclerViewRecyclerLandroidsupportv7widgetRecyclerViewState(IntPtr jnienv, IntPtr native_this, IntPtr nativerecycler, IntPtr nativestate)<62f1973e22584368bc73846a0798f0bd>:0 at (wrapper dynamic-method) System.Object:7ce69b0c-299c-4729-9d79-93780c44dcbd (intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr) md56987f6cc1cad2bad7d1513f02edd2700.PhysicalLayoutManager.nonLayoutChildren(Native Method) md56987f6cc1cad2bad7d1513f02edd2700.PhysicalLayoutManager.onLayoutChildren()PhysicalLayoutManager.java:149 android.support.v7.widget.RecyclerView.dispatchLayoutStep2()RecyclerView.java:3506 android.support.v7.widget.RecyclerView.dispatchLayout()RecyclerView.java:3254 android.support.v7.widget.RecyclerView.onLayout()RecyclerView.java:3767 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 md56987f6cc1cad2bad7d1513f02edd2700.CarouselViewRenderer.nonLayout(Native Method) md56987f6cc1cad2bad7d1513f02edd2700.CarouselViewRenderer.onLayout()CarouselViewRenderer.java:45 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 com.xamarin.forms.platform.android.FormsViewGroup.measureAndLayout()FormsViewGroup.java:29 md5b60ffeb829f638581ab2bb9b1a7f4f3f.VisualElementRenderer1.nonLayout(Native Method) md5b60ffeb829f638581ab2bb9b1a7f4f3f.VisualElementRenderer1.onLayout()VisualElementRenderer1.java:58 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 com.xamarin.forms.platform.android.FormsViewGroup.measureAndLayout()FormsViewGroup.java:29 md5270abb39e60627f0f200893b490a1ade.NavigationPageRenderer.nonLayout(Native Method) md5270abb39e60627f0f200893b490a1ade.NavigationPageRenderer.onLayout()NavigationPageRenderer.java:65 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 com.xamarin.forms.platform.android.FormsViewGroup.measureAndLayout()FormsViewGroup.java:29 md5270abb39e60627f0f200893b490a1ade.MasterDetailContainer.nonLayout(Native Method) md5270abb39e60627f0f200893b490a1ade.MasterDetailContainer.onLayout()MasterDetailContainer.java:53 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 android.support.v4.widget.DrawerLayout.onLayout()DrawerLayout.java:1193 md5270abb39e60627f0f200893b490a1ade.MasterDetailPageRenderer.nonLayout(Native Method) md5270abb39e60627f0f200893b490a1ade.MasterDetailPageRenderer.onLayout()MasterDetailPageRenderer.java:68 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 md5b60ffeb829f638581ab2bb9b1a7f4f3f.PlatformRenderer.n_onLayout(Native Method) md5b60ffeb829f638581ab2bb9b1a7f4f3f.PlatformRenderer.onLayout()PlatformRenderer.java:63 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 android.widget.RelativeLayout.onLayout()RelativeLayout.java:1080 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 android.widget.FrameLayout.layoutChildren()FrameLayout.java:344 android.widget.FrameLayout.onLayout()FrameLayout.java:281 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 android.widget.LinearLayout.setChildFrame()LinearLayout.java:1742 android.widget.LinearLayout.layoutVertical()LinearLayout.java:1585 android.widget.LinearLayout.onLayout()LinearLayout.java:1494 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 android.widget.FrameLayout.layoutChildren()FrameLayout.java:344 android.widget.FrameLayout.onLayout()FrameLayout.java:281 com.android.internal.policy.PhoneWindow$DecorView.onLayout()PhoneWindow.java:3178 android.view.View.layout()View.java:17945 android.view.ViewGroup.layout()ViewGroup.java:5812 android.view.ViewRootImpl.performLayout()ViewRootImpl.java:2716 android.view.ViewRootImpl.performTraversals()ViewRootImpl.java:2417 android.view.ViewRootImpl.doTraversal()ViewRootImpl.java:1487 android.view.ViewRootImpl$TraversalRunnable.run()ViewRootImpl.java:7450 android.view.Choreographer$CallbackRecord.run()Choreographer.java:920 android.view.Choreographer.doCallbacks()Choreographer.java:695 android.view.Choreographer.doFrame()Choreographer.java:631 android.view.Choreographer$FrameDisplayEventReceiver.run()Choreographer.java:906 android.os.Handler.handleCallback()Handler.java:739 android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage()Handler.java:95 android.os.Looper.loop()Looper.java:158 android.app.ActivityThread.main()ActivityThread.java:7229 java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run()ZygoteInit.java:1230 com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main()ZygoteInit.java:1120

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:01 AM
  • User301650 posted

Somebody knows how can i do a Infinite Carousel with this Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView? :(((

Monday, March 27, 2017 3:37 PM
  • User312811 posted

My main goal is to have a carousel page with same header and footer, so that I can load different control ? Since carousel page is longer will be available in near future, i am trying to implement using carousel view. But it seems like carousel views only supports homogeneous controls with shared item source.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 7:13 PM
  • User251799 posted

Still crashing with the DivideByZeroException on pre6: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=53382

Saturday, April 1, 2017 12:37 PM
  • User180523 posted

Just pointing out... That ticket is marked as "Need Info" A comment by another person reporting the same issue said they were trying to create a sample app that would reproduce it - but nothing has been added to the ticket.

If you want to see movement on a bug it would help if someone would provide a project that reproduces the error. The Xamarin folks can't fix a bug they can't reproduce. They're as overworked and underpaid as the rest of us. When faced with 1,000 issues to resolve they're going to do the same thing we do: Prioritize. The bug tickets with the most amount of help from those reporting are naturally going to be handled before the tickets where someone says "Its broke; you figure it out".

I would also point out that while the control should be robust and handle possible cases like a division by zero condition, the app developer should also take some responsibility for writing half-decent robust code as well. As @PhilippSumi said on that thread:

int position = x / _itemSize.Width + positionOrigin; That does look brittle It really doesn't take much for the app developer to do a little bit of value checking/validation. Check that your divisor is >0 and if its not set it to 1 - or just return out and not do anything.

If you look at it from a different perspective, the divisionbyzero error isn't wrong - Its an exception just like any other that tells the developer they screwed up. The developer sent bad values. That exception brings to light the problem in the developer's code so they can fix it. Is it really right that the control should just swallow up the bad value and NOT throw an exception? You don't expect a file system call to not throw an exception when the file isn't found: You get a FileNotFoundException and nobody considers that a bug in the System.IO.File class.

Saturday, April 1, 2017 1:35 PM
  • User251799 posted

Edit: Posted the repro on Bugzilla. If the control is invisible due to its container being invisible, it crashes hard. Thing is that I really want that controller to be invisible...

@ClintStLaurent said:

The problem is that spending a lot of time on the repro might not make much sense when the StackTrace tells a lot, and the control has been in development outside of GitHub for months. I don't think anybody is going to try this out on the outdated sources.

I'm also not convinced we developers screwed up there. This just started crashing after the XF forms upgrade from pre2 to pre3, without any other changes. My Carousel just takes the screen once it's rendered, and I assume the rendering pipeline changed, so that the control's width is simply 0 when the crashing code runs.

Speaking of brittle: The next line isn't exactly better, with a mod operation on the width. This just begs to crash hard ;)

bool hasRemainder = x % _itemSize.Width != 0;

Saturday, April 1, 2017 1:44 PM
  • User306807 posted

hello, I think there is a bug in the IOs implementation, when removing items from the ItemSource collection of the carousel view. The collection is not updated properly and therefore newly added items are not shown. For example: there is a collection 'Items' which contains a few items. Adding another one and removing one will cause an error.

ci = new CarouselInput
                    {
                        Title = "Work order items"                   
                    };

Items.Add(ci);

Items.RemoveAt(1);

The issue is reported here: https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms.CarouselView/issues/20

and can be easily reproduced by adding the following code to James Montemagnos Monkeys Example (MonkeysPage.xaml.cs -> Handle_ItemSelected)

if (monkey == null)
                {
                    return;    
                }
                else
                {
                    var vm = BindingContext as MonkeysViewModel;

if (vm.Zoos.Count > 2)
                    {
                        vm.Zoos.Add(
                        new Zoo
                        {
                            ImageUrl = "http://content.screencast.com/users/JamesMontemagno/folders/Jing/media/e8179889-8189-4acb-bac5-812611199a03/2016-06-02_1053.png",
                            Name = "Phoenix Zoo"
                        });    
                        vm.Zoos.RemoveAt(1);
                    }
                }

Can someone confirm this problem or has a workaround?

Btw. the CarouselView Controll by Alex Rainman does not produce the error. https://github.com/alexrainman/CarouselView

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:02 PM
  • User243044 posted

@Velocity Thanks a lot for your Answer.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:34 AM
  • User128517 posted

@DavidOrtinau Any update on when the new version will be released? It has been in prerelease form with no updates for 9 months now.

Update: I just noticed CarouselView v1 Stable listed for 2.4.0 - Est Q2 2017, hopefully that comes to pass.

Monday, May 1, 2017 11:14 PM
  • User251799 posted

@JoshuaNovak There is a PR pending to merge @AlexRainman's control into Xamarin Forms. Until this is done, the 3rd party NuGet is very actively maintained: https://github.com/alexrainman/CarouselView

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:44 AM
  • User141370 posted

Is this component development dead? Because it's a too useful component and it's sad that the latest available version is a Beta from about a year ago!

Sunday, May 14, 2017 3:56 PM
  • User171749 posted

@ravero said: Is this component development dead? Because it's a too useful component and it's sad that the latest available version is a Beta from about a year ago!

Not dead. Looks like @alexrainman is implementing the control as the new carousel view

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/853

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:15 PM
  • User393 posted

@ravero

I talked to some of them at Build and what @lpdavies said is the same as what they said. I was told that you can just go ahead and use @alexrainman 's version and then switch over when the official one is release.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:03 PM
  • User43729 posted

I'm using 2.3.0 pre2. Getting DivideByZeroException when a layout containing the CarouselView has it's visibility set to 'false' (trying to display an activity indicator whilst the images are loading).

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:55 PM
  • User180523 posted

Don't screw with the actual elements like that. Grab Nuget package rg.plugins.popups, then you can put a "Busy" or "Loading" popup on screen while the loading takes place.

Much easier than micromanaging all the controls... And you can use that as a cover for the whole screen so the user can't tap other buttons while loading is taking place, and so on. That saves you from having to deal with 20 other issues that can creep in.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:58 PM
  • User315050 posted

It is a wonderful user experience. :)

Saturday, May 27, 2017 7:46 AM
  • User198200 posted

On UWP desktop, have you noticed that when you move mouse cursor outside of the carouselview, it makes a little flicker of the content ? (only the first time)

Monday, May 29, 2017 11:57 PM
  • User301234 posted

@Velocity said: @AdrianKnight @BryanHunterXam @ThomasBurkhart @voidstream @DavidOrtinau Here is a workaround/fix for ListView vertical scrolling problems inside CarouselView on Android. Spent some time this morning identifying the problem and crafting a workaround. Needed a fix as we need to ship!

{
        {
        }

}

Thanks for this. It still wasn't 100% when testing on various android devices so tweaked it as shown here: `

public class CustomListViewRenderer : ListViewRenderer
        {
            bool _moving = false;
            float _prevX;
            float _prevY;

{
                {
                    if (_moving)
                    {
                        // more vertical than horizontal
                        if (Math.Abs(ev.RawX - _prevX) < Math.Abs(ev.RawY - _prevY))
                        {
                        }
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        _moving = true;
                    }

_prevX = ev.RawX;
                    _prevY = ev.RawY;
                }

if (ev.Action == MotionEventActions.Up || ev.Action == MotionEventActions.Cancel)
                {
                    _moving = false;
                    _prevX = default(float);
                    _prevY = default(float);
                }

}
        }

`

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 8:11 PM
  • User289152 posted

How to Disable Gestures (swipe l/r) of Carousel View on button click event? I want to disable swipe gestures for drawing purpose in canvas.

Friday, June 2, 2017 7:36 AM
  • User263 posted

@SatishBandre said: How to Disable Gestures (swipe l/r) of Carousel View on button click event? I want to disable swipe gestures for drawing purpose in canvas.

You'll need to intercept the touch event in the renderer. How you do it depends on the platform.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:10 PM
  • User299957 posted

Is't stable?

Monday, June 12, 2017 12:43 PM
  • User181025 posted

In my opinion, this thread needs to be closed since XF is outsourcing CarouselView. We should see a new thread for that control instead.

Monday, June 12, 2017 1:31 PM
  • User28549 posted

@JeffersonBalivo.2829 said: It's possible use CarouselView without Binding ItemsSource? I just need 2 Items (Pages)?

Here's how I was able to achieve it.
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/215322#Comment_215322

Monday, June 12, 2017 3:08 PM
  • User139758 posted

@GraysonMoyer said: Hello, I have been researching the best method for developing apps to fit the requirements of my company's clients. We mostly will be developing apps to interact with and receive data from instruments and devices that measure and control physical actions. Would using any particular app development process be more or less beneficial for our needs? Right now I am looking into Xamarin because of its cross platform capabilities, but will it be able to meet our application goals?

This is the wrong thread for that sorry.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:49 AM
  • User332128 posted

I agreed with you above. :) :) :) :) :) :) :D ?????????????

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:44 AM
  • User332082 posted

@TobiasSchulz.9796 said:

@GraysonMoyer said: Hello, I have been researching the best method for developing apps to fit the requirements of my company's clients. We mostly will be developing apps to interact with and receive data from instruments and devices that measure and control physical actions. Would using any particular app development process be more or less beneficial for our needs? Right now I am looking into Xamarin because of its cross platform capabilities, but will it be able to meet our application goals?

This is the wrong thread for that sorry.

I apologize for that but honestly there really isn't a right thread for that and I just need general advice from anyone who uses Xamarin.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:26 PM
  • User303816 posted

Hi! How to create Carousel/ Coverflow in Xamarin.forms Thanks.

Friday, July 14, 2017 9:38 AM
  • User60865 posted

My app was crashed when update to XF 2.4. I have a List Itemsource Binding from Viewmodel. The item in list is a result await method. The itemsource was null when init ultil a await method return result.

My carousleview return error JNI DETECTED ERROR IN APPLICATION: JNI Throw called with pending exception java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: itemView may not be null 10-03 06:11:30.967 F/art ( 7031): art/runtime/javavmext.cc:470] (Throwable with no stack trace) 10-03 06:11:30.967 F/art ( 7031): art/runtime/javavmext.cc:470] in call to Throw 10-03 06:11:30.967 F/art ( 7031): art/runtime/javavmext.cc:470] from android.support.v7.widget.RecyclerView$ViewHolder md56987f6cc1cad2bad7d1513f02edd2700.ItemViewAdapter.n_onCreateViewHolder(android.view.ViewGroup, int)

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:07 AM