WEB API for a Newbie RRS feed

• Question

• User1191305480 posted

I am trying to do something I would have though was dead simple. Well apparently not judging from all of the mishmash of code out there. Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

1. I want to build an API service without any forms. User information is pre-known by preselected clients

2. It should use the WEB API routing for controllers and follow the REST model.

3. I already have a SQL database to authenticate users against and want to store more than a user id and password in my user class. I need to be able to set my own User properties and Roles using my database queries. No entity framework is necessary; no code first, code last, database first, database last, etc.

4. It will be hosted in Azure over HTTPS and reference Azure databases that will vary based on the user's login.

the whole security model just makes no sense to me and seems so overly complicated.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:16 PM

All replies

• User-2057865890 posted

Hi Lee,

3. I already have a SQL database to authenticate users against and want to store more than a user id and password in my user class. I need to be able to set my own User properties and Roles using my database queries. No entity framework is necessary; no code first, code last, database first, database last, etc.

Entity Framework is a choice while, ADO.NET or other technologies may be other choices. You can retrieve and return the data using any method you prefer.

1. I want to build an API service without any forms. User information is pre-known by preselected clients

2. It should use the WEB API routing for controllers and follow the REST model.

4. It will be hosted in Azure over HTTPS and reference Azure databases that will vary based on the user's login.

Build RESTful API's with ASP.NET Web API
    https://www.asp.net/web-api/overview/older-versions/build-restful-apis-with-aspnet-web-api

Best Regards,

Chris

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:54 AM