none
Edition Upgrade not Supported - SQL Server 2008 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Dist,

I currently have SQL Server 2005 ENTERPRISE edition installed, I went to try and upgrade to SQL Server 2008 Enterprise however, I didn't look carefully enough at the top of the disk because of that missed the "STANDARD" label on it.  Fair enough I thought, so I closed the install and exited out.  I then went into Control Panel and removed the 2008 SQL Setup files entry that existed there.

I then rebooted.

Once back in, I popped in the 2008 SQL ENTERPRISE disk and proceeded through the upgrade menus.  However, it failed once again telling me that the edition upgrade was not supported.  I was completely baffled because I knew I was going from Enterprise to Enterprise.  I looked at detail.txt file that get's created and it says:

"2009-11-24 11:30:52 Slp: -- SkuPublicConfigObject : ValidateSkuMatrix checking sku matrix for sourceVersion=9.0 sourceEdition=ENTERPRISE sourceArchitecture=X86 targetEdition=STANDARD targetArchitecture=X86"

Is there something that was set in the registry that is holding this information and causing me to not be able to proceed forward? 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sean.
    • Edited by HereMyGo Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:13 PM Spelling mistakes
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

Thank you for your post!

Based on your description, the instance of SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition has partly been upgraded to SQL 2008 Standard. Please run the T-SQL statement SELECT @@VERSION to check the version information. If it shows it still a 2005 enterprise edition. I suggest you repaire the instance with SQL 2005 Enterprise Installation files, and then upgrade it using SQL 2008 Enterprise files.

Otherwise, you may need to install a new SQL 2008 Enterprise instance and move your existing databases to this server.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know. I am willing to help you on that.
    ChunSong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:20 AM