No "Consider replacing your battery" warning on Windows-8 notification area

Question

• I have a toshiba laptop with an old battery. On windows-7 it detects the battery status and warns me (see Windows 7 blog Windows 7 Battery Notification Messages) But in windows-8 I don't get any warnings while I am in desktop (either desktop app in Metro or regular windows-8 after disabling metro). But the idle screen battery icon has a red cross mark indicating battery's bad health.

Is this by design (since lot of windows7 user weren't happy about knowing their battery is dieing) or a matter of windows-8 not supporting my battery/bios?

Regards, Adarsha
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hey Adarsha,

Thanks for the clarification, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hey Mvadu,

From testing I can say that there is a warning displayed when the battery reaches 10% capacity, then another at 7% and so on when using the Windows Developer Preview.

You may want to try installing the latest driver for your computer's chipset from your computer manufacturer's website which is linked below.
    Toshiba Support - Homepage

If the driver doesn't install properly because it wasn't designed for the version of Windows you are using. Try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can successfully install the driver. You can do this by:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard to enter the Start screen
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Thank you for the response Steven. I don't think you actually understood the warning message I referring to.

I am not talking about low battery warnings which mentioned. (which show up at certain stages like 10%-low or 7%-critical). I am talking about warning message that Windows-7 gave when your battery is bad and does not charge up to 100% (current threshold set to 60% degradation as per the Windows-7 blog I linked).

You can see the designed capacity and current max charge by running "Powercfg -energy" from an elevated command prompt).

My battery is so bad that it can reach only 30% of its designed level. I get the warning as expected in Wondows-7, but Windows-8 does not warrn me about the bad battery. Hope I am clear this time.

Regards, Adarsha
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Hey Adarsha,

Thanks for the clarification, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Sure Steven, I submitted this issue via feedback tool along with "powercfg -energy" dump. Thank you for the connect invite as I am not a MSDN subscriber.
    Regards, Adarsha
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:48 AM