none
Where is the registry key entry for the Option "Confirm file format conversion on open" in MS-Word 2007 i.e. ConvertFileConversion which i can find in 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I have found that in MS-Word 2007, when i check the option "Confirm file format conversion on open" under the option: Word Options->Advanced->General, there is no registry entry created under the location : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options\ConvertFileConversion which i can see happening on the 2010 MS-Word version.

My question is where in the registry or the location on the file system if any, we can find the value for "Convert file format conversion on open" ?  The purpose of this is to migrate this particular setting from MS-Word 2007->MS-Word 2010. So how do i achieve this task? I am basically using xml templates to specify the registry entries to migrate from 2007->2010.

Could you please give an insight into this? Or why the registry entry is not the same in 2007 likwise to 2010? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashok

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is a bit setting in the Settings Value in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data Key.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Hi Tony, thanks for ur response :-) Sorry for responding late...Yeah i have monitored the registry entries/changes using registry watcher for the registry changes when we toggle the above settings in the Word application. And i found that it was part of the Data key as said above. The problem i am facing is elaborated below:

I am trying to migrate some Word settings from 2007 to 2010. Say from the settings locations such as: Word Options->Advanced->General

1) Provide feedback with Animation

2) Confirm File format conversion on open

3) Update automatic links at Open

4) Allow opening a document in Draft view

I have seen the corresponding registry entries in 2010 are as follows:

1) AnimateScreenMove

2) ConfirmFileConversion

3) DontUpdateLinks

4) AllowOpenInDraftView

So, my query is how can we migrate the above settings which are stored as part of Data Key in 2007 to 2010 which has a separate entries as shown above. Is there any step or any means of mapping the above settings in 2007 to 2010. Please help me with this. I want to retain my word settings which i have done in 2007 to 2010 after migration.

Is there any specific steps to follow so that all those settings are captured from 2007 and then map to 2010 so that the settings are retained what i have it in 2007. Any approach is appreciated.

Like the above i have many settings which has a separate registry entry in 2010 but not in 2007.  Or is it that MS does not support or cant migrate those settings from 2007 to 2010.

As per Microsoft technet forum,  it is said that the below ones are excluded from 2007: 

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data [PROGRAMDIR]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options [PROGRAMDIR]

I assume that, the above settings which were storing under the above two registry locations doesn't have any effect in 2010 when migrated. Am i correct?

So, please help me how i can tackle this settings migration? 

-Ashok

Ashok S
    Monday, July 25, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Sorry for the delay! This one slipped through the cracks!

I am not sure whether you want to do this for yourself, or apply settings to multiple other users, but if you want to migrate settings, the implication is that you don't know what they were - or you could simply impose them. When you upgrade, Word should take care of moved registry entries without you having to do anything (otherwise all users would be messed up) so could you say what the environment is that you have where you need to explicitly set the 2010-specific registry entries. I could give you bit positions for specific settings in the Settings value, but that isn't really the solution to your problem.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:37 PM